Chapter 40

Carrie drives us to the airport. I try my best to be cheery but it's obviously fake. When we arrive, she and Tommy give us one last moment alone.

As I look into his eyes, I don't even know what to say. I had so much planned but now that the moment's here, my mind has failed me.

"I'm proud of you," I tell him. And I understand.

He smiles softly. "I'm proud of you, too."

How do I even tell him how much he means to me? He's always been better at expressing his feelings and right now, I hate myself for it.

"This isn't forever," he reminds me, taking my hands in his. "I'll see you soon."

"I know but I'm gonna miss you," I say quietly. We stand, his fingers brushing my skin in reassurance. Remembering suddenly, I pull out a folder from my bag.

"This is for you. Please don't read it until you're off the plane," I say as I hold it out to him. I don't want him threatening the pilot to turn around.

His brows furrow in confusion as he takes it.

"It's the story I wrote," I explain and look up at him. "It's about you."

His face melts and he wraps me in a hug, shielding me from everything else. When he kisses me, it's a goodbye kiss.

"I love you," he tells me, holding my face to look me in the eyes so I know.

"I love you, too," I say back.

He pulls back and presses a final kiss to my forehead. "Goodbye, princess."

I watch as he walks away, staring until the 23 on his back disappears with him.

A/N: Vote and comment if u enjoyed this last chapter (minus epilogue) EEK!