Chapter 21

I find out in first period the second I walk in from Nelly Fowler, the ultimate gossip. My butt has barely graced the seat when she leans over to shout-whisper, "Did you hear what Zack Darrington did?"

No, but Nelly is the type of girl who passes on small information as if it's all breaking news. Plus, when we texted yesterday, everything seemed normal with him. Well, as normal as it can be.

"No, I didn't," I tell her because Nelly isn't the type to just leave you alone without passing on her gossip first.

"Okay, you can't tell ANYONE but..." She looks around. "He totally destroyed Brad Lockwood's new car."

"What?!" I exclaim so loudly, the whole class turns to look at me. My Lang teacher, Mr. Fisher, shoots me a look and I lower my voice embarrassedly. "He did?"

Clearly pleased by my response, Nelly nods. "There's a video of him walking up to Brad's car and breaking all the windows. No context at all. He just drove to Brad's house and went crazy."

My shock turns into concern. "There's a video?" I ask.

Nelly nods. "It's INSANE but I heard Brad practically begged his dad not to press charges." She flips her hair. "I mean, I wouldn't either. He's Zack fucking Darrington."

My mind is reeling. The timing seems too specific for this to just be random.

"Zack's a total psycho, if you ask me. You should see the video, though. It's pretty hot," Nelly says.

Admittedly, this piques my interest. "Do you have it?" I ask quietly.

She nods and glances over to make sure Mr. Fisher isn't looking before pulling out her phone.

My eyes widen as I watch Zack climb on top of the hood of Brad's BMW and start crashing the windows and side mirrors with a crowbar. Once he's finished with those, he hops down and swings full force at the doors, his arm muscles rippling as he dents the sides. The video ends with Brad running out to his car in distress.

Dazed, I hand Nelly back her phone and reach for my own. I never go on my phone during class but I just have to ask.

Amelia: are you crazy?!

After some thinking, I add "are you okay?"

Don't reply: i'm excellent

Amelia: you shouldn't have done that... but thank you

Don't reply: ur welcome

I put my phone back in my pocket but pull it out again when I feel it vibrate.

Don't reply: parking lot after school

Amelia: I have plans

Don't reply: cancel them

I start nibbling at my lip. My only plans are meeting with Jaden but I feel bad cancelling at the last minute.

Amelia: you can't just tell me at the last minute

Don't reply: don't you owe me a wish?

He remembers that?

Don't reply: right side by the pool

---

The entire rest of the day, I'm struggling to push the thought away. How can I just cancel plans to hang out with someone else? That would be like saying that Zack is more important to me than Jaden.

"You good?" I hear. Jaden gives me a concerned look as he sits down beside me.

"I'm good," I answer in an oddly strained voice but he doesn't seem to catch it. "Have you been journaling?"

"Yes, ma'am," he says and pulls out a small notebook. "I think it helped. I... I think I'm finally starting to move on." He looks at me almost shyly and I smile encouragingly.

"I'm really happy for you, Jaden," I say and pat his arm for emphasis.

He lets out an embarrassed laugh. "I couldn't have done it without you." He inhales a breath. "We're still on for pizza after school?"

My mind travels to Zack and I'm about to say no but I stop myself. 

"Sure, that sounds great." He smiles that angelic smile of his and squeezes my arm. I give a weak smile in return. Zack will understand.

Stats seems to last forever and Jaden is packing up when the words spill out of me. 

"Hey, actually, could we grab pizza another day? I'll buy." 

His face falls but he nods in understanding. I smile.

"Thanks, you're the best," I tell him and pat his arm again before I leave.

---

Adrenaline is pumping through me as I speed walk through the parking lot to the side by the swimming pool. My eyes search for his truck, scrolling through each of the parking lanes.

"I knew you'd come." A voice tickles my neck and I jump back in surprise as Zack stares down at me amusedly.

"You scared me," I scold but I'm smiling.

"You need to relax," he says and starts to walk, taking my backpack for me. "You act like you're committing a crime."

"Hanging out with you feels like a crime," I mutter. I'm not immune to the people watching us walk together.

He smirks. "And yet, here you are."

My eyes glance at my pale pink backpack hanging on his broad shoulders.

I smile. "Here I am."

A/N: thank u for the reads!! Votes and comments r appreciated always <3