32• cliché

Previously On Triplets Apart 2:
Cameron and David congratulates their kids on their financial growth. Except Mariyah who is still yet to find out what she wants. They try to create alternative methods of pushing her and getting her out of her shell.

•••

Jada brushes her finger across her tattoo in thinking, the same thoughts she tries to avoid, to not deal with, but it haunts her like a nightmare. She slides her engagement ring on her ring finger before shaking her head and removing it. Denial won't help. She thinks to herself.

With a shake of her head, she stalks to her father's study. He's using his phone for a change as he's seated around his desk, his back facing the windows that has American flags at both ends.

"Hi, daddy." She greets him quietly as she runs her palms down her hips.

"Hi, Pumpkin! Is it time?" He comes around the table and hugs his daughter.

"In a few minutes."

"I'll notify my people."

Jada laughs softly, "is it always like this with you? All these men and cars follow you around everywhere, it's just a fashion show."

"The President's daughter's fashion show," he corrects, brushing a thumb playfully against her chin, "and yes it's always like this. I knew what I was getting into when I ran for presidency; hence, I ran for a second term. And it's actually fine with me at this point."

Jada picks up his badge of the American flag from his desk and hooks it to the collar of his sleek suit jacket. "There." She runs her hands across his shoulders.

"Are you okay, honey?" He searches her eyes, noticing the slight dim from her personal light.

She smiles dryly, "I'll be fine." She doesn't wants to entirely lie by saying yes.

"What's wrong?"

"It's over, dad. He's.. he's done with me." She shrugs, smiling hurtfully.

"What happened?" He leads her to a leather seat, allowing her to seat comfortably before she speaks.

"Doesn't matter." She stays smiling but her eyes tell another tale, "I fucked up."

"Will you be okay?" He doesn't wants to press the issue, she'll speak when she's ready, especially being that she hasn't said this to anyone since the break up.

It's been 54 hours of suffering in silence, swimming in her own tears and muffling her screams. She refuses to break down anymore, thankful for the small bit of strength that has returned, its enough for her to hold on to until she gathers the strength she's used to.

"Yes." Her smile widens and he immediately hugs her tightly, she interlocks her fingers behind his back before letting go.

"Whenever you're ready, I'm right here, okay? You don't have to keep everything in."

She nods, "ready?"

•••

The president, his fiancé and Amy are in the Escalade. Followed by them, Jada, Mariyah, Phoebe and Amber are comfortably seated in another Escalade and many other vehicles behind. They follow this man around even if he takes a run in the morning, but that's just how it has to be for a man so significant and prestigious.

"Oh, you're already there?" Phoebe speaks into the receiver of her iPhone. After a few seconds of listening, "really? You're making me nervous!" She fiddles with Jada's pinky finger. "Okay, we're on our way!"

"What now?" Jada questions.

"Pink is modelling for me tonight so she's already there, and she says the crowd is going nuts! The place is already packed, famous people everywhere." Phoebe squeals. Jada swallows her comment about Phoebe being 10 minutes late to her own event, not interested in hearing the 'fashionably late' line this time, she just lets her be.

"Is Whitley going to be there too?" Mariyah asks Phoebe, looking up from her phone.

"Yeah bro, why? That was Pink on the phone, she says Whitley is coming with Seth." Phoebe responds.

"It's just something about her.." Mariyah wonders as if she's trying to place a mental finger on something. "She's so gorgeous and for someone who stars in adult films, she surely just seems confident with herself and her profession in a different way. Plus she's beautiful, I could never be brave enough to wear my hair so so low, the girl is just gorgeous!" Mariyah admires the girl as if she's mentally looking at her.

"Word?" Phoebe agrees, "Whitley is the shit. No cap."

"Hey," Phoebe touches Amber's shoulder, dragging her sister's gaze from out the window.

"Que?" Amber answers in Portuguese.

"What's going on? You alright kid?"

"Yeah. Yeah." Amber nods assuringly.

"Where's Lee? Back on his hiatus from his complicated relationship?"

"Yeah but he's still coming to the show."

Phoebe notices the dim in her spirit at the mention of Lee, "spill." She says dryly, making it clear that the 'it's nothing' line isn't an option.

"He told me that the girl he was with.. well, his on-and-off lover, Ali? Turns out the girl is Ayana. Tariq's fiancé." She finally tells them.

"Yeah?" Phoebe asks surprised and Amber nods.

"Yeah. Tariq is the reason for their complicated relationship."

"No shit." Mariyah mutters.

"Turns out 'Ali' is the initials of her first and middle names- Ayana Lilian-Irys.. How couldn't I have known it was her? I haven't actually asked to see photos of her though and Lee never offered. If I've known her real name then I could've looked her up before." She nods her head to see Jada at the other end by the tinted window. "I'm sorry, Jada, I should've told you as soon as I found out but all the shit that night with you and.."

"It's cool, really." Jada cuts her off, smiling. "A lot happened and we all haven't had the time for each other. The mess with my memory and finding out about the engagement, Phoebe's show, mom and dad's upcoming wedding.." she shrugs.

"And I'm sorry we couldn't tell you about Ayana before. We should've known that some 'medical protocol' couldn't hold you back for too long! That's why we tried to keep you away from him and.. a crazy part of me, of us all except Phoebe, was telling me that you and the guy was meant to be.. even though he's engaged now. They just don't strike me as a couple or whatever, something's just ain't right. Him and her are just.. not you and him."

"It's cool, Amber." Jada chuckles, "we broke up anyway.. there's no me and Tariq." The smile remains.

"Broke up? As in from a relationship?!" Phoebe is clearly take aback. Just as expected.

"No Phoebe, a situationship. Yes, a relationship!" Jada sneers, "There! And anyone even thinks about lecturing me or offering me some sap, cliché apology about my breakup, It'll be your ass."

Mariyah giggles, pressing her lips into a thin line, trying to come up with something less sappy and cliché to say. "I wish I could've told you sooner. I really wanted to tell you about that girl and now you guys are.."

"We didn't break up because of Ayana." Jada corrects in a matter-a-fact tone. "Tuh, don't give her so much credit. In fact, I don't see the woman that's capable of such thing." She looks out the window again, "no woman at all but me." She mumbles the last words but her sisters heard."

"What are you saying, J? You're the reason for the breakup?" Amber seeks clarity.

"Yup."

"And what about Ayana?" Mariyah asks.

"Not everything is as it seems, baby girl. Tariq loves.. well, loved only one person, and I think we all know who that is." Jada is thankful for the cars arriving right on time, halting any further questions from her sisters. She's just not in the mood for this. At all.