2

"Sierra, you should go on a nice vacation. You have worked six or seven days a week for over two years now. You need to have some fun." Geoff said as he sat across from my desk.

"I don't have time to go anywhere, Geoff. So don't start."

"That's my point exactly! If I want to see you, I have to come to your office and sit in a hard ass chair. Which is bad for my ass. I don't like how distant you have gotten from me. I want my friend back!" He leaned forward.

"We are still friends. We speak at least once a day." I replied.

"We haven't talked or text in five days."

That caught my attention. "Seriously? Are you sure?" I looked at my phone. He was right. Five days! I felt deflated. "I'm so sorry, Geoff! I didn't realize that..... how did I let this happen? I let my best friend down."

I start crying. I haven't cried in the past two years since the day that Patrick died.

Geoff stood and scooped me up into his arms. "You didn't let me down baby. You have dealt with the death, the best way you could. You threw yourself into your work. But you got lost in the effort. Let me help you find a new life."

"Ok. I will. I'm so scared of being hurt again, Geoff. I wish like hell that I had listened to you to begin with. I hate myself for being so fucking stupid! I don't deserve to be happy." Now that I've started talking, I can't stop. "I don't deserve you. You should go find another friend. I love you too much to keep dragging you down. I'm so sorry, Geoffrey! I'm like a noose around your neck. Please forgive me!"

Geoffrey just held me as I talked. When I finally shut up and the tears stopped flowing, he spoke. "Feel better, baby?" I nodded. "Good! Now you sit your ass down and log out of whatever you're working on. You notify who ever you need to and tell them that you will be gone for two weeks, minimum. Then I will follow you to your house and you will pack a bag. Then we are going to a friend of mine, whose family owns a ranch in Colorado. We are going to stay there for two whole weeks. Yes, fourteen days. If I feel that you need more time, we will stay longer. Any questions?"

"I can't stay away for that long." I told him.

"Bullshit! Either you do it voluntarily, or I will carry you over my shoulder to my car and you won't get a chance to pack. Your choice." He crossed his arms over his chest.

I sat and emailed my most urgent file to my business partner. Then logged out of my computer. I took the file to my assistant's desk and locked it away. Then I emailed her to explain what I was doing. I grabbed my bag and locked my office. "I guess we do this your way."

"Thank you, baby." Geoffrey smiled and kissed the top of my head. "How do you feel about eighty degree weather, horses, and peace?"

"Sounds great." I tried to picture myself relaxing, but it has been so long since that has happened. I don't know if I can do that anymore.

We did what Geoffrey said and we were soon on our way to Colorado. We stopped in Oklahoma to get gas later that night. "Are we getting a hotel room or driving straight through?" I had slept for about two hours already.

"A hotel room about a mile or so away." Geoffrey answered.

We stopped at a respectable hotel and will share a double room. We talked while Geoff massaged my feet and legs. I fell asleep mid conversation.

I wake up the next morning and automatically reach for my laptop before opening my eyes. When I don't reach it, I turn my head and open my eyes. I'm not in my own bed. Then I remember that we are in Oklahoma on our way to Colorado. I look around for Geoffrey. He isn't in the room.