21

I help Reba fix breakfast. Jordan leaves with Gage to take the yearlings to the slaughter house. I go to my doctor appointment.

  He told me to use a cane instead of the crutches, and gave me some exercises to do.  I get a recommendation for a doctor to do a pregnancy test. Dr. Phillips made me an appointment for an hour later, with his wife.

  Now here I am. Stunned over what she told me. I call Reba. "Hey, mom. Do you mind if I cook dinner for Jordan and myself tonight? I kinda want to fix him dinner at home."

  "Actually, that works perfectly! Martin wants a meatloaf and Jordan doesn't like my meatloaf. I was trying to figure out what to fix for him."

  "Oh that works out perfectly!  I'm so glad that you aren't upset with me about this. Do you need anything from town while I'm here?"

  "No love. I'm stocked up until Friday. I'll go to town on Wednesday. Thank you though. Be careful."

  "I will. Love you mom."

  "Love you too!" We hung up and I went into the shoes store and got my shoes. Then to the grocery store and bought everything that I could think of, that we might need. I went  and had a shirt made. After, I went to a Sonic, I was wanting a chocolate shake. Then I drove home. It took me a while to get everything into the house and put away. I got the steaks marinating as I sat and thought on how to break the news.

  With my decision made, I go print the picture. I am putting the steaks on as Jordan comes in and kisses me.

  "I can get used to this! My wife cooking my dinner." What is the special occasion?"

  "Mom is making meatloaf. And I wanted to cook your dinner. Just the two of us. Is that alright?"

  "Its perfectly fine with me. I'll go take my shower and be back quickly."

  "Ok, honey." He went to take his shower.

  I made sure that the gift bag was beside my plate. Jordan comes back as dinner is ready. "Perfect timing! Ready to eat, honey?"

  "Always! But how about we eat dinner first?" Jordan laughed.

  I sit down and then he does the same. As we start to eat he asks about my appointment. I tell him everything.

  I ask about his day.

  As we are almost finished, his curiosity gets the best of him.

  "Sweetheart, what is in the bag? It has been distracting me all this time."

  "Are you finished with your plate?"

  Instead of answering, he puts our plates by the sink. Then returns to his seat. I slide the pale green and white bag to him.

  I bite my lip as he looks at me a moment longer. Then he takes the tissue paper out. He puts his hand back in and brings out the tshirt that is folded. He quickly unfolds it and reads.

Daddy established February 2021

  His eyes bulge. His jaw dropped.

  "There is one more thing in the bag."

  He looks into the bag and pulls out the sonogram picture. I see tears in his eyes. But he still doesn't speak.

  "Are you ok, honey?" I asked uncertainly.

  "I'm speechless! Are you... are we... we are...."

  "Yes we are going to have a baby in eight months."

  "He stands and picks me from my chair. His arms curl around me so securely, I tear up. I feel his tears on my shoulder as he gently sways with me. "I love you beyond words! Thank you for bringing light into my life. I promise to be the best husband and father."