Chapter 16: Manja

River flung himself at Mat, almost knocking him over.

"Missed you too, Babe," Mat laughed, swinging him around.

Mat dragged him over to a food cart by the side of the path, passing him a green smoothie moments later.

"Uh, no, like, offence or anything, but what the fuck is this?" River asked jokingly.

"Gotta stay fit and healthy if I'm going to complete a six-week run."

"What? You got the part! That's amazing!" River launched himself again, though Mat managed to not spill his own mossy drink.

When River'd calmed down, Mat slung an arm over his shoulder as they walked through the park, dodging excitable children and dog walkers. Mat was telling him all about his successful audition for an off-Broadway play that was starting with a short run, but could be extended.

"They're pretty excited about it, there's a really good vibe at rehearsals."

River winked. "Do you have a large part?"

"Dork," Mat chuckled. "It's a small role, but it's just good experience, you know? Gonna eat a lot of time for a while though."

"Yeah. I do kinda feel like I've barely seen you since the end of semester. It's a bit...I guess we're all growing up and moving on. It was bound to happen. Did you know Eli's been offered an internship in L.A. with some big music producer, and James is heading to San Francisco in the Fall?"

"Yeah. But, you know you and me are solid, yeah? And those guys will be our friends forever too. But I'm not leaving the city, and you aren't, are you?"

"Been thinking, I want to get involved in writing. I sent some compositions around, waiting to hear. Professor McNally's given me some names, too. I've just been a bit distracted."

Mat pulled his hand and sat them on a bench.

"How is that?"

"I like it, Mat. It doesn't freak you out does it?"

"Why would it? The only thing I've seen of it is how much happier Ellis has been lately, so I guess I've nothing but good thoughts about it. I wasn't expecting it though."

"From me?"

"No. I figured you were a decent level of kinky, which is awesome and all, but I never saw this coming."

"But you're alright with it?" River couldn't help seeking the same reassurance again.

"I am, Babe. Just...just don't forget about us boring guys when you're off in your sexual nirvana."

"Who's the dork now?" River laughed, smacking Mat's arm before eagerly falling into the one armed hug he offered.

It almost felt normal between them. Almost. As long as he ignored the sharp twang in his chest and the worried furrow of Mat's brow.

* * * * *

"Good evening, boys."

River and Ellis scrambled up, flinging controllers away like they were on fire. Looking at Master François' stern face, River was very much doubting Ellis' insistence that this would be a 'great idea'. All he could think with those uncompromising eyes on him was why had he even been interested in punishment training?

They'd talked about it earlier, over lunch of grilled cheese at the breakfast bar, made by Alanna, the housekeeper, who'd listened to their conversation with an entertained smirk, though her only comment on it had been 'crazy boys, looking for trouble'. River was starting to think they should have taken her more seriously. But Ellis was certain that River should make an effort to get this part of the training over with, and that provoking Master François was the best way.