Chapter 24: Maganda

"You want me to train Mat?" Gray sounded slightly incredulous.

"Yes," Mat pouted, and River knew he shouldn't find it cute.

"You'll have to get permission from Master François. And he's strict. He won't just train anyone."

"I know I'm not a Dom," Mat started, but Gray held up a hand.

"I'm sorry if I sounded dismissive. It's not about someone being 'a Dom'. I think you've made it clear that you're willing to do anything to make River happy, and when you're doing this in a relationship, that's a large part of what being dominant will be for you. I assume you aren't planning on living a permanent lifestyle? That it will be more about play?"

"Yes, Sir. We don't need it all the time."

River and Mat had discussed it, at length, before they'd approached Gray. Mat had told River he was hoping that Gray would simply agree to train him – the two of them seemed to have a bond. River had no idea if Gray would be the best person for the training, though he'd trust the decision of whoever was going to make it – Master François by the sounds of it.

"You're aware you'll have to pay?"

They'd figured. River had known that his whole training, and subsequent membership when he qualified, was free because Master François knew that high numbers of well-trained subs were very good for business, and the charges the club made for Dominant membership were astronomical. He didn't know how high, though Ellis had whispered that it was a disgusting amount, but it seemed to vary – Ellis said it was based on how much Master François liked someone, but River was fairly sure there was more to it than that. Regardless, they'd already guessed there'd be a fee for training, and it would be high.

Mat had waved off River's concerns and said he'd happily give up his entire trust fund if it was going to something that would make River happy.

Gray took them to Master François' office, presenting them with a flourish. Master François, to his credit, didn't even seem surprised, and Ellis, kneeling by his side, just grinned.

"So, Mateo," Master François said when everyone was seated by the low coffee table, "you want to train as a Dom?"

River could tell that Mat was torn, worried that if he was too honest, Master François would send him on his way, but even more worried about what would happen if he lied.

"Not exactly. I'm not a Dom, not like you guys, and I don't think I'd be able to do that. But I'm in love with River, and I want to be able to learn how to be more dominant, to give him pleasure."

He sat back, nervous but resolute, and River smiled warmly, taking his hand.

Master François had the same kind of pleased look on his face and Ellis popped his head up looking like he wanted to do a dance.

"It's fairly usual, actually. We do offer training separate to actual membership, so we often train people who only want to use their skills privately."

River hadn't known that, and certainly hadn't known that what he and Mat were looking for wasn't even considered surprising.

Master François passed Mat a brochure, and continued, "I'm presuming you would want to join the club though." His glance shifted between River and Mat, questioningly.

River looked to Mat, not wanting to presume, even if he'd made it seem he'd want that. But Mat laughed, putting a hand on River's knee.

"I don't think I'd keep him out. Riv's made far too many great friends here."