15

Tom came back to the woods that night.

He sat under the trees in the same spot as last time, staring up, up. A buzz was in him and wouldn't leave, wouldn't go away no matter how long he sat and breathed. All he could do was think of the moment in the school yard during break.

His future, his life depended on Amy, the girl who had ruined it in the first place.

"I'm doomed." Tom sighed to himself and the night air.

"I hope not. Thought you were Tom!" The boy's voice came. Tom flinched—the boy's sudden noise sent nerves up Tom's body. The boy could see that—it was a bit lighter tonight, and they could see eachother silhouetted.

"Sorry." The boy spoke again. Through the dark, Tom looked and saw the edges of his figure as he sat down next to Tom. "So. Tell me why you're doomed."

Tom sighed and shook his head. Leaned towards the boy enough to hear him breathe and know he was real. "I apologized like you said. But," Tom huffed out air, feeling a weight come to him as if he was reliving it. "Becky saw and misinterpreted it. So Amy said she would talk to her."

"Great. I sure give some amazin' advice, right?" He said, nudging Tom, who smiled lightly. He looked up through the dark towards the obscured sky. The smell of the forest felt amplified.

"Sure, yeah-- but what if Amy doesn't help? She started this all."

"Well, you can't help that. You'd gotta do what you can."

Tom combed his fingers through his hair, then let his hand fall back down onto the leaves and dirt. "It'll be okay, though." The boy said. "You just gotta trust her." Tom turned to him again, even though he could only see his silhouette.

"What about you? How're you faring so far?" Tom asked. He could hear the ruffle of the boy's clothes as he shrugged.

"Oh, I'm doin' well. Getting my bearings like I should, I guess." He said. "It's been a while."

"A while? Since what?" Tom asked. He swallowed.

"Well, since I been back."

"Back? You travel through here often? I haven't ever seen you around town before." Tom said. He tried harder to see the boy's face through the dark, but still all he could see was the ghost of an impression in his mind.

"Well... wow. You forgotten me so soon, Tom?"

"Uh... I— Sorry. Maybe so, but you expect me to recognize a face when the sky is so dark? ...Or maybe you're playing with me." Tom said. A redness was forming in his face. He ran a hand through his hair to hide it, not that the boy could've seen.

"I ain't playing."

"Well...Maybe I need sleep, then. After a good night, I'll come back and know right 'way who you are. Hopefully it'll be lighter out." Tom said. His breaths quickened at the sudden on-the-spot-ness. "... I haven't seen you in the daylight yet. Where have you been staying at since you've come? It's awfully late for you to be out here."

"Yeah, well you two, Tom. I'd-a thought you'd be right to bed after the sun, since the day would've taken this toll on you. But," The boy took a breath, and Tom could hear the air move around the boy's arm as he motioned around. "I've been in these woods."

"The woods? Like... sleeping out here? This ground is too rough to sleep on!"

"Yeah, I know." He said. "...But I've been thinkin' the Widow Douglas might take me in. What do you reckon?"

"Oh, she's awful nice." Tom said. He talked quickly, trying to carry the conversation far from him not recognizing the boy. Away from the embarrassment. "She'd take you in." He said and ran a hand through his hair. "Anyway, um, if you're staying out here, I should go and let you sleep." Tom nodded to himself. He needed to get back anyway. "And I gotta think on how I know you." Tom said, but still stayed. Maybe if his eyes adjusted enough, he would see who he was.

He listened to the boys breaths, and thought he felt something forming in his stomach. That smell of trees, of dirt, of grass and leaves... He thought he felt something so familiar, so deeply-rooted--

"Well, what is it? Did you remember me?"

"No, I... I, uh..." Tom smiled quickly, leaning towards the boy again. He glanced down, looked through the dark at their two hands close together, keeping them both steady on the forest floor. A buzz was in his stomach. "I don't know." Tom swallowed the dark. "But thanks for you letting me talk with you."

"No problem. 'ts been a while since I really talked with a person."

"...But aren't you a traveler? You must've talked with loads of folks."

"A retired one, at that. And it's hard to get to know someone when you're sayin' bye the next day." The boy said.

"Oh. I guess so..." Tom said. "Well, I guess I'll see you again. I gotta be off or my Aunt'll whip me for being out past curfew."

"Bye'a, Tom." The boy said. Tom liked the way he said it; a little like they were friends, good friends.

Tom nodded and got up, brushed himself off, and left.

If only he could see the boy in the light. Hear his voice with a face. Even if he saw the boy somewhere else, he'd be able to match it to that voice. Then he would surely know who he was.

It was dirt-dark coming out of the woods, with that rough ground under his feet making him hurry along. And then it was light under those gas lamps, and he could feel that stillness in the air again at being alone.

He couldn't wait to see the boy again. To figure out who he was.

Tom hurried along home.