24

The sun came quickly. Up through the stars and past the falling full moon, through the clouds. Making a sunset out of the blackened air. Waking up Tom as it always did-- But today, as soon as he was up, he felt awake.

He had Huck. He wouldn't be so alone in his adventures and mess-ups anymore. The duo would be reunited.

Tom got ready and left quickly for school before Sid even got down the stairs.

Out into the morning air. The same air as last night: at the fair, in the woods. A calm and new and happy feeling was in his skin. He caught up with Becky on the way and they walked together.

In class, Tom sat down next to Becky. Being able to hold her hand, to talk with her about the answers, made his stomach light.

He watched everyone come into the classroom and looked around to see if he missed anyone. If Huckleberry was here. But he wasn't, yet. Tom sat and waited. But he didn't know why his mind was so focused on Huck. Huck wouldn't want to talk about anything—certainly not what Tom wanted to talk about-- and Tom had Becky to talk to.

But then he saw at the doorway Huck's deep eyes and his smile, and Tom had to smile back because there was no way he couldn't. Huck came and sat by Tom, and his quiet presence made Tom feel more awake and buzzing. He had his friend and his girl back.

Class started. Tom glanced over and from the corner of his eye saw Huck taking notes. Saw Huck not adding in when he and Becky and Amy and other people were having conversations. Huck ignored them, only looking up at the teacher and down at his paper.

It was off-putting for Tom, and he couldn't take his focus off of it once he noticed it. Tom had always expected for Huck to mess around if he went to school. To talk and join in with not paying attention. Tom watched him, waiting for something.

Huck did look up, once. He glanced at Tom, and Tom immediately looked away, a turn in his stomach at being spotted watching him.

Tom tried to focus on his own notes and work, but he kept going back to whispering and smiling at Becky, and watching as Huck didn't. Huck's body slumped forwards at some moments, leaning over his papers. Tom could see his eyes droop almost closed and reflect the light in a different way, but then Huck would blink and straighten himself in his chair, resuming taking notes or doing work. Sleeping on the ground must not be that fulfilling.

It was like a rhythm looped, and Tom watched and watched from the corner of his eye. The whole time, Huck didn't talk to anyone. It was like something totally new. Someone completely different; the old Huck, had he ever gone to school at all, would've talked and talked and been louder than Tom. Something had happened, and Huck had changed.