65

Tom now had the suit in his wardrobe.

Hidden behind that old, splitting, shining wood was the pressed, dark expensive suit he would wear. Tomorrow.

Tom laid in his bed, waiting for dawn. He could already hear rain, pattering and dripping and fizzing against the dirt and the grass and the roof. He could hear the storm that would last all day.

At dinner the night before, Sid had convinced Aunt Polly to keep Tom home today: something about not seeing the bride. Something about Tom's nerves. Tom had never realized how much Sid had his back until these last few days, seeing Sid's tactics being used for other deeds than getting him into trouble.

Dawn couldn't come soon enough-Tom heard leaves and twigs hit against his window. He heard bats. If he wasn't skipping school today, he would've been walking in the rain.

Maybe they'd postpone the wedding-but, then again, they'd only do that if they got a bad hurricane or something. They had umbrellas, after all.

There was nothing he could do but wait and think. Think about Becky, about the life they'd have together. About Huck and the life they could've had. Tom laid in his bed, paced through his room, all day. Aunt Polly didn't even want him eating much, not that he would anyway-it wasn't practicing good etiquette, probably, and she would want him to fit in that new suit. So he waited in place and waited through the rain.

He had prayed for a sign to stop this. He had gotten none.

The rain hit harder.