chapter - 18

„get well soon"

Grief.

Hanako's life companion who didn't die. Everyone around her, everyone who she grew up with, and everyone she loved died in one night along with the purpose of her life. She trained all this time to lead a dead clan, and there was no one left to comfort her, only those who want to capture her for her power.

No, she doesn't want to dwell on that but whenever she tries to close her eyes to sleep, she sees flashes of what happened, who she really is, and what she's been through.

It didn't matter how many people were killed, grief is still there. Hanako looks at her precious friend, looking like her when her whole clan was killed, and whenever she would remember something.

How silly of me to think about romantic feelings when we're constantly being tracked down. Even more when now, we're both this damaged.

"Hanako-chan", Naruto suddenly speaks up, "I'm going out, don't wait for me."

She's a bit shocked that Naruto would leave by her side. But this isn't about her. Hanako looks at him and smiles.

"It's alright, I need to go home anyway. Stay safe, Naruto-kun.", she walks up to him as she caress his face with the palm of her hand. Naruto avoids to look at her, knowing that his eyes are swollen from sobbing.

I don't want her to see me like this. I don't want anyone to see me like this.

"Hey, look at me.", Hanako says sweetly, as always. Naruto didn't resist Hanako's offer, he looks at her.

"He's one of the reasons why you were able to be the man you are now. I, along with everyone else are grateful for that. That's why I understand if you don't want to be around anyone right now."

Naruto is very happy to hear that from her.

"Thank you.", he responds with a small smile, "C'mere.", he opens his arms wide, and the girl happily accepts his embrace.

His heart calms down with the warmth that Hanako gives him during the hug.

Back at the Shinozaki's apartment, her mind was wandering once again. There's a lot going on. Her memories of killing a traitor, her still lost memories about her being a ninja, and now, Naruto losing his master.

Is Sakura-chan still awake?

She gets up from her bed, hoping that she would be able to talk to her dear friend. She ran and jumps from roof to roof, looking for a pink-haired girl.

As she ran, she spots a certain blonde, holding a popsicle. Her instinct was to go and sit with him, but as she planned to do so, Iruka beat her to it. Knowing that it's probably for the best that both of them talk, she left to do what she originally thought of doing.

There she is!

"Sakura-chan!", Hanako shouts her name.

"Oh, Hanako-chan.", Sakura smiles as she sees her friend. Hanako walks up to hug her and she happily hugs back.

"I'm so glad to see you.", Hanako proceeds to tell her what's troubling her. Leaving the part that she killed someone.

"I hope Naruto's okay.", Sakura sighs sadly.

"Me too, seeing Naruto crying wasn't a good sight to see. I'm always used to him being happy.", she clutches her necklace.

"He even lashed out on Tsunade-sama earlier. He was so mad. I tried calling for him but he went out of her office quickly.", Sakura sighs sadly, "How about you, how are you feeling?", Sakura worriedly asks her.

Hanako stares at her friend for a bit before looking away.

"I don't know, I just remembered the greatest betrayal that changed my life forever. It still feels like a fresh wound.", she sighs before continuing, "Now, I'm useless. My abilities can't pass to fight with you guys. I would be a burden in battle. If my mind would just stop making me remember the bad memories and start making me remember something useful, I would be able to bring food to the table."

"Don't be ridiculous, you're not useless. Tsunade-sama tells me that you've improved greatly."

"Yes, for a beginner. But I'm not, I trained my whole life and now that one legacy that my family gave me is gone. All I have is this stupid hair color that catches the enemies' attention.", she frowns as she says this.

How am I able to be Naruto-kun's right hand when I can't even compare to anyone's abilities.

𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖓𝖊𝖝𝖙 𝖉𝖆𝖞

Hanako wakes up by the loud knocking on her door, she groans as she stands up feeling groggy.

It's so goddamn early. Who is disturbing my fucking sleep?

She opens the door and sees a certain pineapple-head. Hanako blushes, knowing that she isn't exactly presentable. Her hair is all over the place compared to the usual where she puts it in a neat bun since it has gotten longer and unruly.

"Good morning, sorry for coming so early. Sakura told me that you lived here.", Shikamaru says with his hands stuffed in his pockets. His cheeks painted with light pink, shocked to see Hanako look so informal. She would always be clean and her hair would always be neat. Seeing her look like this was an odd sight to see.

"It's alright, I just lack sleep because I was up all night talking to Sakura-chan. Is there anything you need from me? I would love to go back to sleep.", she crosses her arms.

"You have spare keys for Naruto's apartment. right?", he asks her.

"Yeah, what's wrong? Did something happen?", concern was laced in her voice.

"No, he isn't answering his door but I know he's there. I would climb up his window but that would be troublesome.", Hanako sweat-drops at the lazy boy's explanation.

"Whatever, here.', she hands her Naruto's spare keys.

"Care to come with me? I think he would be a lot accommodating if you're with me.", Shikamaru says and she whines.

I don't think that's a good idea. Naruto clearly wanted alone time.

"Fine, but let me fix myself first. I look like a mess."

Minutes pass by, Shikamaru sat on Hanako's front door. Finally, Hanako walks out of the bathroom, looking more presentable than before, wearing proper attire.

"Let's go."

They walk out of her apartment, walking side by side as they visit their friend. Both of the teenagers arrive at Naruto's door. Shikamaru opens the door with the spare keys that Hanako lended him and revealed a very depressed blonde.

"Naruto?", Hanako's voice called out for her friend, wanting to run up to him and hug him. But she stopped herself, not wanting to bother him.

"Hanako-chan?", Naruto glances at her direction and looks away, "What do you guys want?"

"We let ourselves in, since you weren't answering the door.", Shikamaru tells the blonde.

"There was a reason why I didn't answer it.", Naruto says as he frowns.

"I need you to do something.", Shikamaru gives him a photograph, showing a code that supposedly came from Jiraiya.

"Well? Can you think of anything?", the lazy bot asks him.

Naruto just stares at the picture. Hanako looks away, not wanting to see Naruto like that.

"Oi Naruto, I said can you think of anything?"

Hanako couldn't handle negativity of the room.

"I'm sorry Shikamaru-kun but I can't stay any longer. I might have another attack. I need to go.", Shikamaru nods at her. She looks at Naruto and he didn't spare her any glance.

Get well soon, Naruto-kun.