chapter - 20

„declarations and denial"

Should I tell him about what I remembered?

Hanako looks at Naruto preparing his things for his training with Lord Fukasuka. He was running around his apartment, not forgetting to grab instant ramen along the way.

"H-hey," She starts, making Naruto's attention go to her, "I remembered something while you were gone.", Hanako says.

"Really!? You should've told me right away!", he says.

"That's the thing, it's really shameful and I think you'll hate me for it.", the girl admits and looks down. Naruto stands up and walks to her, he grabs her chin and slowly raises it up.

"Oi, why are you so hesitant?", Naruto says with a confused face.

Hanako exhales, sitting down before telling him everything that happened the night her clan was poisoned.

"That's horrible.", Naruto says, "But why would I hate you? You were about to be murdered, you had no choice."

"There's one thing I don't get though.", Hanako says, "How am I so dangerous?"

"I sure know what he meant," Naruto says.

"What? Really!?", Hanako stands up and shakes him, "What? What is it?"

"Well, you're a potty mouth who kicks and argues with a tree.", Hanako scoffs at his answer.

"Ha-ha.", she rolls her eyes before Naruto pinches the side of her waist, "Oi!"

"Don't 'oi!' me! You rolled your eyes on me."

"So what?", Hanako does it again.

"So much attitude for someone who gets tickled easily."

"I take it back! No! Don't do it!", Hanako tries to run away but sadly fails as the blonde already grabbed her. Their bodies slam on the floor from the force, letting the Shinozaki hope that it immobilizes the blonde from tickling her sides.

Unfortunately, Naruto didn't let the fall stop him from attacking her with tickles. The blonde quickly pins her down successfully and starts tickling the poor girl's side with one hand. He hears a roar of laughter from Hanako which made him laugh as well. He stops for a while to look at her.

"You're ridiculous! It was an eye roll!", Hanako pants.

Naruto continues to observe her features, letting his eyes look at the sight of Hanako's red cheeks and her panting. The blue-eyed boy stares at her with wide eyes before letting go and standing up straight.

"C'mon, I think they're waiting.", he quickly says before heading out, leaving a confused Shinozaki.

"Slow down! You attack me with tickles and walk fast? You're infuriating!", Hanako says as she stomped her feet on the ground.

Naruto feels guilty and walks to her, Hanako just looks at him and pout before frowning and shoving him aside.

"What was that for?!"

"Fuckin' jerk, pulling a Sasuke act all of times."

I can't believe he's being weird all of the sudden! Right before he would leave to train somewhere far.

"O-oi! Don't be like that before I go!"

"You're the one at fault!", she points at him. Some people on the streets of Konoha are looking at them, as if the both teenagers are causing a scene. Hanako looks at them, holding in the satisfaction of giving them a death glare.

Tsunade-sama would kill me.

"I know, I know! Gomen!", Hanako stops at her tracks before facing him again. He looked terrible, like he was about to cry because she was annoyed by him. This made the girl chuckle.

"Fine, c'mon.", she grabs his hand, which made Naruto tense, "What's wrong with you? Am I disgusting to be touched?", Hanako smells her shoulders, "Do I smell bad? I took a shower!"

"N-no! It's just, eto—", Naruto stutters, "Nothing!"

He felt overwhelmed. His emotions that are bottled up are hard to stop from bursting, the blonde never felt like this before. In fact, it was the first time that these feelings are taking over his mind.

What are you doing to me Hanako-chan?

Hanako looks at him as they walk closer to the gates. She frowns and lets out a sigh. Her mind drifts to the events that happened yesterday. All the little moments that took place that made her feelings pile up.

I just admire him because he's kind. It's a small, tiny crush.

She looks at Naruto and looks away quickly as she feels blush forming.

Damn it Hanako! We're in a middle of a conflict, he needs to focus on his mission.

Naruto suddenly grabs her to an alleyway not far from their destination.

"What is it?", Hanako says, feeling alert from the blonde's actions.

"Hanako-chan, I need to tell you something before going.", Naruto says.

"Don't tell me you forgot something and now I have to run and get it? I'm not your maid Naruto-kun.", Hanako responds.

"N-no! It's just that— I'm—", Naruto stutters again.

Why is it so hard to say?

"What's wrong? You're making me worried.", she crosses her arms.

"Nothing, let's just go! I'm nervous, ya'know? What if I don't get strong enough to defeat Pain?", Hanako's features soften from what the blonde said to her.

"Don't worry Naruto-kun, I'm sure you'll do great. You're Naruto Uzumaki, future Hokage!", Hanako tries to cheer him up, understanding the pressure as she also felt it before. Naruto grins at her statement, feeling grateful for her kind words. He opens his arms wide, waiting for Hanako to embrace him, which she gladly did.

"Thank you, Hanako-chan."

"Naruto-boy, say your goodbyes.", Lord Fukasaku says.

"I'm off. I'm counting you on the code, Shikamaru.", Naruto says.

"Don't worry about us.", Shikamaru replies.

"I will contact you the moment when the autopsy results and interrogation are in.", Tsunade says.

"I will leave the messenger frog behind.", Fukasaku informs everyone, "If there's anything, give it to him."

"Yes Sir.", Tsunade replies.

"Good luck Naruto!", Sakura says joyfully.

"Right!", Naruto grins. He looks at the oddly silent girl, she just smiles at him. He walks up to her, causing everyone to look at them.

"Naruto-kun?", Hanako says, confused.

Who am I kidding? This is Hanako-chan, I won't miss my chance.

Naruto suddenly kisses her cheeks, catching everyone off-guard. Hanako holds her cheek and looks at him with shock.

"E-eh? Y-you?"

"I like you, Hanako-chan.", he whispers before going back to his position next to Fukasaku.

"You already told me tha—", Naruto stops the girl from talking by giving her a peck on her lips, causing the Shinozaki to blush more than she thought she could.

"You don't have to have an answer right now, just know that from now on, I'll do everything to protect you!", he grins at her. She smiles in response, feeling her heart beat fast, forgetting those who are around them, watching and snickering.

"Come back strong, alright?", Naruto nods at her.

I'm glad we're on the same page, Naruto-kun.