THE ERSATZ ELEVATOR

- THE ERSATZ ELEVATOR PT 1 -
"Bless you."

MR

MR. POE WAS COUGHING.

Nothing about that was new but it still made Cara's blood boil with red hot irritation, she often wondered if the man had even ever tried cough medicine or those cough drops that tasted like blackcurrant. But she didn't dare to ask in case in the middle of him answering he started hacking in her face again, spreading his nasty germs that Cara and the Baudelaires were already sat in whilst he coughed into the confined space of his car that the orphans were cramped in.

They had just pulled up to a street in the city and looking out of the window, Cara saw that the people walking around the streets were dressed in very fancy, dapper clothes. There were women with extravagant hats, feathers and hall. Men with ugly fedoras. And the colour scheme of the whole place seemed extremely modern, everyone dressed in grey-tone suit-dresses or normal suits, sprinkles of white and stripes.

Cara looked down at her big white dress she was wearing and still having to constantly push the skirt down when it particularly annoyed her from puffing up, she then looked at the Baudelaires who were still in their Prufrock Preparatory uniform. They had come straight from the school once the Quagmires had been taken, given barely any time to pack up what they didn't have.

The only thing they had grabbed was the picture of their parents from the wall of the shack and put that inside Cara's empty bag she carried everywhere. Klaus had suggested they put half of the spyglass in there too, which they did in order to keep it safe. And the other thing they got were some trainers for Cara, they were the S.O.R.E running shoes but she didn't mind.

As long as her feet were no longer getting scraped from the stones on the floor.

"Now, Baudelaires, I know you must feel nervous." Mr. Poe said after he had finished coughing and turned off his headlights which made the surrounding area significantly more darker than it already had been. "I was a little nervous myself trying to find you a new guardian given your previous track record. But never fear. This is a very fashionable block, much more fashionable than where you once lived with your parents even though both houses are just a few blocks away."

"We're not concerned with how fashionable it is." Violet said and looking out at the 'fashionable' people from where she was forced into the passenger seat of the car, Cara reckoned that all of them were pompous and critical given their statures and expressions.

"We're more than nervous, Mr. Poe. We're anxious." Klaus said, Cara wondered what the difference was and furrowed her eyebrows as she stayed looking out of the windshield at the front of the car, just listening. "Our friends have been kidnapped by Count Olaf."

"Ah, yes, the Quagmire twins."

"Triplets." Violet corrected.

"But there's only two of them." Mr. Poe turned his head slightly towards the back of the car where the Baudelaires were talking from. He had his eyebrows pinched together in slight confusion and Klaus explained Quigley's demise, as always Mr. Poe was not sympathetic in the slightest. "Well then there's no need to worry about him. As for the other two, Dennis and Iphigenia-"