- The Belly of the Beast

- THE CARNIVOROUS CARNIVAL PT2 -
"Shut the fuck up, Violet."

A/N: told myself i was going to wait until i published the next chapter but

A/N: told myself i was going to wait until i published the next chapter but...here we are.

CARA HAD BEEN CUT DEEPLY BY THE VIDEOS OF HER PARENTS.

That had been apparent when she shoved the crystal ball off of the table and sent it smashing. It was even more apparent by her restless fidgeting her hands were doing whilst she picked at the material of her baggy orange shirt, sat on one of Madame Lulu's plush cushion chairs. Though of course it wasn't Madame Lulu anymore, it was Olivia Caliban, the librarian from Prufrock Preparatory School where they had spent a grand total of two days and met some friends that they had lost within those two days. A simple Baudelaire and Cara specialty - get attached and get hurt.

Hurt until you can never stop feeling the sickly swirling of your stomach every second that passed. Hurt until your mind and brain cannot comprehend or seem to understand the conversation happening right in front of you. Hurt to the point where all you can see, despite the people with you being your friends, are the people that you lost in the most unfair circumstances and in the glass lens of the smashed crystal ball. The injustice of it all hurt the most. The fact that you didn't choose to be the way you were, you didn't choose the lifestyle...so why the hell did you feel guilty for not fulfilling a parent's dying wish?

The Baudelaires had at first longed to comfort Cara as much as they could when her fingers had clutched the red tablecloth until her knuckles when white and her jaw clenched harshly almost grinding and breaking her teeth. However the arrival of an 'old friend' who they had known for a grand total of two days had forestalled them from doing so, even though they probably knew Cara wasn't listening. There was a faraway look in her eye, much like the one in Monty's Labyrinth when they had met Jacquelyn and much like the one in Josephine's library where Cara didn't grasp any conversation because she was stuck in her own head.

Words of confidence from her mother. Words of sarcasm from her father. A happy couple, a noble couple who had had happy and noble children...and then had Cara. Who didn't know anything about healthcare or medical training off of the top of her head like her mother wanted to, and who wasn't smart like her father had said. There was five year age gap between her and Max. But there was a seven year age gap between her and Harrison - two years seemed plenty of time for the Pritchard couple to realise that their Caroline wasn't as smart as they had hoped. Two years was plenty of time to decide to start over.

"Now we don't have long. Count Olaf will be here at any minute." Madame Lu- Olivia said frantically as she returned from peeking out of the entrance to her tent a little at the surrounding planes of the empty carnival ground. She ran back over to the orphans stood in the centre of her tent. "And we are in the belly of the beast."

"Why are you disguised as a fortune teller?" Klaus asked her with furrowed eyebrows, rightfully confused and Olivia grabbed Violet's shoulder and Klaus' shoulder, shuffling the two of them with Cara in between in front of some chairs so that they could sit down and she could crouch in front of them; Klaus put a hand on the seemingly catatonic Cara's knee.