- The Jailbreak

- THE VILE VILLAGE PT 2 -
"Beep beep, bitches."

"OLAF HASN'T BEEN MURDERED AT ALL

"OLAF HASN'T BEEN MURDERED AT ALL. THAT'S JACQUES SNICKET."

"And yet another dead man to add to the memory." Cara pursed her lips, squinting and looking away from Jacques Snicket as he was brought past them on a stretcher. Pale and unblinking, much like Uncle Monty had been when they encountered him in the Reptile Room that day. Things had taken a large and drastic turn whilst the children had been in the barn all night; Jacques had been killed somehow and the futile effort to break him from prison had all been for nothing.

"Let's go children. This isn't something you ought to see." Hector appeared, frowning at the children before him. Cara had a hand over her eyes, shielding herself from looking at Jacques' body any longer as Klaus and Violet stared at Mr. Poe. Max, however, couldn't look away from the body and just stared at it disbelievingly.

"We've already seen it." Cara turned to face their guardian, raising her eyebrows whilst keeping her hand at the side of her face to block out the pasty corpse Max was obviously deeply shaken by. "We're never going to stop seeing it."

"Not so fast, daddy-o." Olaf as Detective Dupin appeared in front of the orphans and Cara couldn't help the grimace that formed on her face at the sight of him and his chest hair. He pushed Hector back and stared down the five children. "It is not cool to dismiss suspects at the scene of the crime."

"Suspects?" Klaus exclaimed, taking place at the front of the group. Cara took a step back so she would be behind Klaus and beside Max who finally turned away from Jacques at the sound of Klaus' voice. "If anyone committed this crime, it was you!"

"It's extra just not cool to disagree with Detective Dupin." Olaf began to click his fingers as he spoke and Cara glared at him, very close to snapping his thumbs off of his hand if he continued doing that. The scatting made her skin crawl unpleasantly and she shuddered, her shoulders shaking with a shiver.

"Your name isn't Detective Dupin at all, it's-"

"Silence in the crowd! Gather round!" The main Elder of the council yelled above all of the commotion that was happening in the town square, the crow fountain stood depressingly amongst it all as all of the villagers bustled over to Town Hall where the Elders stood on the stairs waiting for the crowd to surround them.

"The Council of Elders has called this emergency town meeting." The blonde Elder who had once described Count Olaf as 'a tall drink of water' spoke to the villagers that surrounded them, Cara could not get her words and meaning out of her head. It shocked her how many people could be attracted to Olaf, even in disguise.

"It's imperative that we discuss this most mysterious murder." The grouchy man added to his fellow Elder's decree. Cara turned around to roll her eyes at Klaus, feeling like her sanity was slipping away second by second, only her humorous thoughts could keep it grasped.