four.

「 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞 」

𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞

the river of people flowed in a continuous stream down the sidewalk. the boys mingled with the other fish and even maneavueree between walking bodies since their steps seemed to be faster. it was those blocking the way with their faces down in their phones or simply unaware of other people trying to get by that had the younger getting irritated.

"i'm going to step on her mary janes." taehyung finally said.

jimin was half way done with a snickers bar and looked over at his friend, "dude she's twelve." his breath smelled like peanut butter.

the age didn't seem to matter to him, not as his eyes rolled and shoulders slumped. "yeah well she's walking too slow." taehyung said. the two friends were almost back home, arms full of groceries after taehyungs mom sent them away to be productive rather than laying on the living room couch all day.

"have a snickers." jimin held out the candy bar, trading the snack for another grocery bag so his friend could eat up. taehyung thanked him, and maybe the sweetness helped a little with his mood.

soon the busy sidewalk became less, city buildings turning more into smaller shops and bigger homes that weren't only cramped apartments. it was a thirty minute walk, considering there was only one store in the city that his mother liked the orange juice from. "it has the perfect ratio of pulp to juice." she'd say every time taehyung asked why he couldn't go to the market that was closer to their house.

"should i even guess what she's making for dinner?" jimin asked as they walked up the driveway to the front door. he tried to figure it out when they shopped, but the items were to odd to make a connection between them for a single meal. "there's no chance." taehyung said, finished the candy and shoved the wrapped in his pocket so his mother wouldn't see.

taehyung loved his mom, but only in small doses. there was so much there all the time that after talking to her, he just felt tired. for some reason jimin loved her, and probably spent more time letting ms. kim ramble on and on about whatever it was on her mind that day.

the front door opened and grocery bags rustled, the sound of slippers following so quick. "oh you made it back!" ms. kim smiled at the two, "i was afraid it would rain and you forgot your umbrella." she said.

"not today ms. kim." jimin grinned politely, eyes nearly squeezed shut and mood shining like the sky that didn't rain today.

"let me help darling." she took some of the grocery bags from her sons friend and the two walked into the kitchen. taehyung trailed behind and followed along, putting the bag on the counter too before sitting on one of the stools. "can jimin stay for dinner?" he asked.

ms. kim started to hum while unpacking the bags and smiled at jimin who helped. the question did make her hesitate, needing to pause when putting away some juice and butter into the fridge, "um, i'm not sure honey." she said to her son, which was odd since his best friend was always welcomed no matter what time or day. "we're actually having dinner down a jiwoo's house tonight." she explained.

taehyung wanted to groan dramatically but he knew the look he would get. instead he let his head fall down onto the surface of the countertop on the breakfast bar. "she ordered this new couch with the pintuck and corduroy fabric, she wants to look at accent pillows but you know the woman has this thing with her eyes and matching colors-"

she continued on and her son stopped listening. he remembered having dinner there once maybe a year or so ago, after one of his honor roll ceremonies and he spent the night pushing food around his plate and then throwing stones at the rain drain on the road.

"-basically she needs help moving the old couch out, so be nice and help tonight." ms. kim finally got to the point and even managed to get the juice in the fridge without getting distracted again.

"well then jimin has to come, i can't pick up a couch by myself." taehyung was still making the case to bring his friend along. it was the only thing that might help him make it through the dinner tonight.

the case wasn't strong enough, not when ms. kim waved off her sons words and walked to the pantry. she started to take out some bread and other little things, "her son will be there tonight, he'll help." she smiled and put the bread on the counter, "now who wants sandwiches?" she asked.

"me!" jimins hand shot up into the air, as if the loud voice didn't answer for him enough.

the two of them started to make snacks, adding lunch meat and some mayo to some. ms. kim cut them into rectangles while jimin got plates and a bag of chips from the pantry. everyone could count on him to make himself at home no matter where that was. the shorter male sat beside him best friend on a stool at the breakfast bar, taking a big bite and speaking  with full cheeks. "don't worry, we can watch untold stories of the er tomorrow or something." jimin said, "here." he slid his plate over, always making sure the younger ate too.

there was a pout on his lips, but taehyung took half of the sandwhich anyways and bit into the soft break and thick layer of turkey. it had the right amount of mayo for him, the way his mom knew he liked it — barely there because it tasted funny but still enough so it wasn't too dry.

"i'll see you tomorrow yeah?" jimin said once they finished up their snack. taehyung only nodded, and watched his friend say goodbye to his mom too before grabbing his bag and heading to his own home.

"clean yourself up, we'll head over around 6." his mother said, shooing him up the stairs and not wanting to see him again until his hair was combed and shirt tucked. taehyung was fine with it, he wanted to shower and turn his skin a little pink from how hot the water was. he'd be third wheeling at a dinner tonight between two ladies that talked so much he wasn't sure they even breathed.

taehyung wore a simple pair of jeans and a t-shirt too, casual but still nice and mother approved. he was nineteen but still living under his moms roof, so she had a big say in a lot of things. he didn't care, not much about anything since he knew if he listened to her then he could do whatever he wanted in his free time without her knowing.

part of him wished he cared to dress a little better, add a necklace or even pick a top that wasn't so boring and plain colored. taehyung wished he was better prepared, because tonight he wasn't third wheeling after all.

────────────────────────