6

she woke up early the next morning, immediately heading to bakugou's room. she stopped in front of his wooden door and knocked excitedly.

"what do you want?" he snapped. "its 7am in the morning and the way you knocked sounded like a bulldozer ramming my house down."

"house tour!" she squealed, ignoring his rude remark.

he blinked at her, not exactly sure what she was talking about.

"as in bring me around your house to show me where everything is. dumbass." sometimes y/n couldn't deal with his stupidity.

"i haven't changed though. you sure?"

she rolled her eyes. "its your house. i can't tell you what to do and what not to do." she refused to comment on how he still looked absolutely beautiful in his pajamas, and he was so much more pleasant when he didn't have a scowl plastered on his face. so he could show other emotions too...

he then stepped out of his room, waving an arm in her face. "follow me then, dumbass."

she huffed but followed him along the dark hallways, down the spiral staircases, through the courtyard. when they finally arrived back in front of her room, she smiled brightly at bakugou, thanking him for the "entertaining" house tour.

she cried out in horror and pain when he raised his hand to flick her forehead. "you're welcome stupid. now don't bother me anymore. i need my beauty sleep."

"then your beauty sleep the past few days wasn't that effective wasn't it." y/n smirked, preparing herself for his wave of anger early in the morning.

"excuse me? i dare you say that again." the look on his face was purely menacing, spurring her on. as she opened her mouth to repeat herself, he lunged at her. she shrieked and laughed as he started chasing her down the narrow stairs and along the barely lit corridors. shit! i forgot where my room was! despite living in the mansion for about 2 months, she still could lose her way.

as they neared the bottom of the stairs, they heard a scream. both of them paused, trying to locate the origin of the frightened call. bakugou then raced to the kitchen, y/n following closely behind. what she saw made her stop in her tracks.

enormous plumes of bright red flames rose up from the stove, enveloping the food cooking on the pan. bakugo yelled, "what happened?" the terrified chef cried out, "i didn't clear up the alcohol on the stove!" he then ordered the chef to head out of the kitchen to make sure she was safe. she sprinted out of the kitchen, completely forgetting that y/n was there. she sank to her knees, sobs threatening to spill out of her throat.

not again. not again. this is not the time to have a panic attack. get out. GET OUT NOW! she couldn't move. couldn't speak. couldn't cry out for help. she could just sit there, gathering her emotions. Y/N YOU ARE GOING TO DIE! a frightened noise finally wrenched out of her mouth.

bakugo's eyes widened in horror. he whirled around, screaming, "Y/N! GET OUT NOW ! ITS TOO DANGEROUS!" terror was lacing every syllable. she couldn't move. even as he called for midoriya, she just glared at her clenched fists, feeling vulnerable and hating herself for being a burden to those trying to put out the fire.

by the time the fire was safely extinguished, she felt a warm, muscular body envelop her, cradling and rocking her gently. caramel. this person smelled like caramel. like the pillows. finally feeling safe, she cried, sobs wracking her tiny body. she subconsciously felt the other people leave the charred kitchen. the only people that remained were herself. and the caramel-scented boy.

she felt him carry her to her room, placing her on the bed. still she cried. and still he wrapped her in his embrace, letting her cry freely. as her muscles slowly relaxed, bakugou finally asked her, "what's wrong? tell me. i need to know how to help you."

in her delirious state, y/n told him everything. "i killed them." her voice shook uncontrollably with every word.

bakugou froze, chills running down his spine, but let her continue.

"i killed my family. they came back one day after my younger brother's award ceremony," she hiccupped but forced herself to continue. "they were so happy. while i was left at home studying hard. then my mother started rambling about how he was more competent than me even though he was younger than me. my brother tried to stop her, knowing it would aggravate me but it was no use. i knew i was worthless, yet she kept rubbing it in."

knowing that she felt horrible, bakugou moved forward and rested her head on his shoulder, one hand pulling her closer to him and the other hand running his fingers through her hair in an effort to calm her down.

y/n snuggled into his touch and wrapped her arms around him, sobbing into his chest. "i couldn't take it. i was in a bad mood because my teacher called me useless earlier that morning. it was a stupid reason and still is, but i lost control of my quirk. i lost control. i burnt them and the whole house to ash. its my fault. i killed them."

the reality of it hit her like a truck. she did it. her family was dead. and it was all her fault.

he whispered softly, "i understand. and its not your fault. the past is the past. move on." he repeated the last two words he'd said to her before. move on. the two words resounded in her head like a blessing.

she now knew what he was. a blessing.

she sobbed harder.

"what do you understand?" she asked softly. he hardened his stare, penetrating deep into her soul. "i understand. i will tell you soon. when you know."

she was confused by what he said and tried to ask him what he meant but bakugou just shushed her and wrapped her in his arms, rocking her like an infant. she narrowed her eyes at him, insulted by his gesture. "excuse me? i'm not a kid, bakugou."

he scoffed, "oh look you're back."

"if you're trying to copy me, then its failing horribly."

"so what if i'm trying to copy you? you started it anyway."

"shut up dumbass."

"no you."

"i mean it."

"oh my GOD. just shut the fuck up and go to sleep," he was just getting a little bit annoyed at their bickering, although it was also one of the things he looked forward to everyday.

"hell no. i do what i want. and get off me."

"suit yourself. and no. i do what i want."

"suit yourself."

despite telling him to get off of her, she snuggled closer into him, enjoying the way his body fit her's perfectly and breathing in his caramel scent. her eyes snapped open again. caramel.

she sat up, and to her enjoyment, bakugou groaned loudly. "what now?"

"was this your room?"

his cheeks turned pink in shock. "h-how did you know?"

"caramel."

"are you crazy? what are you talking about now?"

"i mean, you smell like caramel. and apparently, this room does too. no candles or scented diffusers? must only come from a person. you."

"ok now i know you're crazy. no way in hell i- oh." his expression changed when he realised that he, in fact, smelled like caramel. "just sleep. how hard is it?"

"HA! you're embarrassed," she sing-songed.

he didn't bother to reply to her childish comments after that and just closed his eyes. soon after, y/n shut her eyes as well. to onlookers, it may look that the two were fast asleep but neither of them were unconscious, slightly traumatised by the events of the previous day.

both of them knew the other was awake, but refrained from making any comments, just treasuring the time that they were holding onto each other. they remained like that until the next morning, and the afternoon.

a/n:

special thanks to khaw for helping me proofread. love u lots <3