Chapter 1

Ella was in a hurry to get to the garage; she was already a day late for her weekly car checkup.

   Martin's Body Shop was a grey and blue brick building that had different stalls for the cars.  Then there was a red wooden door that led to the reception area where the car owners waited while their cars were fixed. There were about three mechanics, except Martin, presently, all dressed in navy blue overalls.

When she parked in one of the stalls, Martin got up from the spot where he usually sat to oversee the while place. He walked over to her. Martin was a tan grey-headed man in his early sixties. His skin was tan to show that he got a lot of sun and he was a chubby, not fat, especially around the middle.

"Hey Martin," She said as she stepped out of her navy blue Toyota.

"Hello Girlie," He knew how much she hated the name but he enjoyed teasing her with it. She made a face at him; he just continued to smile at her.

"How are you today, Martin?" She asked.

"Same as always, thank you. You're late. I almost thought you wouldn't show up," He said with a frown.

  It was his way of scolding her. She didn't particularly see the point of these weekly visits but Old Martin insisted. He said that if people would just check their cars weekly, the would spend less money than when their cars eventually broke down.

"I'm sorry. I've had a particularly hectic week today," Ella said. "And I'm nowhere near finished."

He smiled. "That's unavoidable when you own a business. How's the little man?"

"Josh is fine. I have to go pick him up in an hour."

"I'll be finished by then," When she thought he would move to get started, he stood still and gave her an expectant look, while tapping his right foot. And then she remembered.

"Oh," She said as he nodded. "Of course I remembered your cake," She opened the door to her backseat of her car and got out the box

"Thank you. I see you brought chocolate this time." He said as he lifted the lid of the box to peer at the confection, then he licked his lips. "I love it."

Ella laughed. Finally he got started with her car, looking around and poking and prodding. Ella knew next to nothing about cars, so she had no way of knowing what he was doing. But luckily, someone was willing to check it for her every week.

"So how are things at the bakery?" She heard Martin's voice interrupt her thoughts. This was usual with them. He always talked to her while he worked. She told him about her son, her business and any problems she was having, and he always had some sage advice for her. She had been coming to him to check her car for the past two years.

"Oh, things are lovely, lots of customers. I get so tired these days."

"I bet you aren't complaining about the amount of money coming in though," Martin said with a chuckle.

Ella laughed too. "At least there's an advantage."

"If you're so tired, why don't you hire an extra person or two?" Martin said after a moment.

"That's not a bad idea. You know I was always afraid of hiring, because I couldn't afford to pay more people, but I think my pocket can take it," She said. Martin just nodded. "How are you always so right?"

"Sweetheart, I've run a business for more than thirty years. I'm bound to know stuff," He said.

"True," She nodded. "Seen anything you need to fix yet?"

"Nope," He shook his head. "Good as new."

Ella sighed. "Thanks, Martin. I really really appreciate it."