Chapter 8: Bad News

Liam waves you down, his bright smile faltering a little as he glances at your hand, which clutches Clay's backpack. You let go, running to Liam. He opens his arm for a hug, and you smile, letting him pull you to his chest.

"I got lost! I was so scared. I almost cried," you admit, looking up at him.

"She got distracted, I guess. Almost gave Clay a heart attack," George says, elbowing Clay in the ribs. He glares at George.

"Not true. It was her own fault, scampering off to look at a trash piece," Clay says, smiling at George. They continue to tease you, ignoring your furious glares.

"Whatever. Ignore them," Liam mutters to you, then speaks up, "Me and Y/n will head to lunch. We'll probably get pizza or something."

"Um, anyone else can come if they like," you offer. Liam ignores the tinge of annoyance that pulls his stomach.

"I could go for pizza," George says, and Clay shrugs, signaling he'll go along as well.

"We might as well all go," Alyssa says after exchanging a glance with Nick. He nods.

"Yay! Let's go!" You exclaim, tugging Alyssa with you. She stumbles but grins at you regardless. After walking for a bit, you all fall into a booth, breathless.

"We could've gone to any closer restaurant. But no, we had to go to this pizza place," Clay pants, shooting you a sideways look. You cross your arms, trying your best not to show your exhaustion.

"We were craving pizza! We might as well," you insist, looking at Liam for help. He shrugs, turning away to talk to a waitress. You watch their encounter, listening as Liam mildly flirts with her as she goes around taking your orders. You decide on sharing two pizzas, one pepperoni, and one cheese—the waitress giggles as she scampers off, quickly whispering to her co-worker. You rip your eyes away from Liam, only to be met with George. He wiggles his eyebrows, glancing between you and Liam. Rolling your eyes, you fiddle with your napkin as you chat with Alyssa.

After what felt like an hour, the waitress brings out the pizza, smiling at Liam before she leaves once again. All at once, you begin to dig in. A hunger that wasn't there previously washes over you, and you fight to get as much food in your mouth before it's all gone. After having to watch Liam and the waitress flirt once more, you collectively get up. Instinctively, you fall into place next to Liam as you exit the bustling restaurant.

"Liam, do you want to come with me and Y/n to the next amusement place?" Alyssa asks, watching as George, Clay, and Nick walk off.

"Sure!" He says, a festive mood sweeping over him.

Unexpectedly, he clutches your hand. You jerk away from him, surprised.

"Sorry. I don't know why I did that," Liam says, his ears going a furious pink. Alyssa giggles in the background.

"I don't mind," she says, strutting off in front of you two, "You don't have to hide anything from me."

You blush furiously, your stomach doing a somersault.

"Alyssa, please," you say, but you don't move away from Liam.

"Let's just enjoy the next park," Liam says, smiling apologetically down at you.

~~~

"I call shotgun!" You yell, running ahead of George as the sun starts to set behind you all.

"What? No! I'm closer to Clay!" Nick insists, pulling you behind him as he opens the door.

"I don't care! I'm not sitting squished in the backseat again!" You argue, hopping in before he has a chance.

"Get out!" He insists, opening the door wider for you. You stick your nose in the air, smiling proudly.

"Not only did I call it first, but I also got here first," you say, trying to shut the door.

"I think I should sit in the front," George says, strutting in front of the door.

"Me too," Clay adds, sliding into the driver seat.

"Ooh! What if I drive," you offer, turning to Clay.

"What? No way. I'm not letting you drive my car."

"Awww, but then George can sit in the front, just like you want."

"I don't care who sits in the front, but I'm driving. I would just prefer if George did," Clay says, starting up the car.

"Simp," you mutter.

"What was that?"

"Nothing! I'm sitting here, so let's go," you say innocently, finally managing to pull the door closed.

"You can sit in my lap, Y/n," Liam offers.

"HUH?!" Three people exclaim at once. Blushing furiously, you look back at him.

"No! I didn't mean it sexually. I just meant to make more space she could!" Liam insists, his whole face going red this time.

"This is the second sexual joke towards me today!" You complain, digging your hand into your hands.

"Second? What was the first," Liam asks, forgetting the previous subject. You and Clay glance at each other.

"Clay said he wanted to hear Y/n scream," George says quietly, and the car goes mad.

"WHAT?!" Liam yells, whipping his head towards Clay.

"I didn't mean it like that! We had a bet on who would scream!" Clay insists, backing away slightly at the look on Liam's face.

"All this time I thought it was Liam and Y/n."

"ALYSSA!"

"OKAY! No one is sitting on anyone's lap. I don't want to hear Y/n scream like that. End of story, let's go home," Clay says, grinning at the chaos.

Nick and George sigh heavily as they squish into the back, and you lean back, trying to take in what just happened. Suddenly, the whole car bursts out laughing, each laugh making someone else laugh harder.

You all walk into the hotel, all in good moods. Liam and Clay laugh with each other, and you look between them, a weird feeling in your chest. You wave goodnight at them and separate into your rooms.

Closing the door behind you, Alyssa takes out her phone.

"Oh no," Alyssa whispers, her smile turning into a frown.

"What?" You ask, looking over her shoulder at her phone.

"It might thunder this week."

"What? When?" You say, your face falling.

"Not tomorrow, but the next day. And I won't be here," she says, looking up at you.

You open your mouth but don't say anything.

"It should be fine! It's just a chance. And even if it does, I'm sure Liam will come to comfort you," she adds, smiling at you.

"Alyssa, why do you have to leave tomorrow?" You say, tearing up at the thought.

"It's okay. I'll wake you up before you leave. I had a lot of fun with you today," she says, pulling you into a hug. You smile but can't help but worry about the possible thunder.