Chapter 9: Fair

"Noooo!" You groan, clutching to Alyssa's arm, "Please don't go. I'll have to hang out with boys!"

"I know, I know. I don't expect you to forgive me. But please, Y/n, I'm going to miss my flight."

"Come on, Y/n. Let her go," Clay says, pulling you off her. You escape his grip to hug Alyssa one last time. Letting go, you smile sadly at her.

"I had so much fun with you. Next time lets hangout with just us," Alyssa says, patting your head before waving goodbye one last time.

"I miss her already," you complain, falling back into the hotel's lounge chairs.

"Oh, come on. Don't be dramatic," Clay replies, rolling his eyes as he sits next to you.

You bicker playfully with him while waiting for the other boys to come downstairs. They had already said their goodbyes to Alyssa, but you insisted on dragging Clay down with you to see her out the hotel.

"I'm surprised they didn't close the fair," you say, checking the weather nervously.

"They wouldn't shut down a fair for something silly like a thunderstorm. Besides, it's only overcast right now. It probably won't even rain," Clay says casually, looking out to the sky.

You nod, hoping he's right. Looking up, you meet eyes with Liam, and both of you smile at the same time.

"Hi. Are you guys ready? Did Alyssa leave?" George asks, struggling to hold both his and Clay's backpack.

"Yes, and yes," you say, taking your own bag from Liam.

"Clay take your bag," George complains, wobbling under the weight, "What do you even have in this?"

"Nothing. Let me see it," Clay says, taking it before George can look into it.

Interested, you follow behind Clay closely to try and get a peek in his bag. Unexpectedly, he whirls around, and you crash right into his chest.

"Don't follow me so closely," he says, grinning down at you, sprawled across the floor, "Someone could get hurt."

Frowning, you ignore his helping hand and stand up, brushing off yourself. Strutting ahead of him, you fall into place next to George, chatting about the fair.

"I'm not going on any more roller-coasters. Yesterday was enough to last me a lifetime," George says, shuddering slightly at the thought of going on another one. You poke his ribs, teasing him about his silly fear.

"I'm with George on this one. They were scary," Clay says, appearing next to you.

"Aw, is Clay scared of roller-coasters? How cute," you say, pinching his cheek. He slaps your hand away, laughing.

"I'm human. At least I'm not scared of thunderstorms."

"Shut up! They're terrifying. You wouldn't get it," you mutter, crossing your arms.

"I guess I wouldn't. Anyways, now that Alyssa's gone, we don't have to squish into my car," Clay says, "No one has to sit on anyone's lap."

Liam grins, his ears going slightly pink. You shake your head, filing into the backseat behind Nick.

"Don't worry, Y/n. If there are roller-coasters, I'll go on with you," Nick says, pushing against the window to add space for Liam.

"Really!? Yay! What about the Ferris-wheel? Will there be one? If so, will you two go on?" You ask, leaning forward.

"Um. Maybe," George says, glancing at Clay, "If Clay does, I will."

"I don't know. We'll see," Clay says, starting his car.