Chapter 13

Ellie’s POV

    We just finished eating lunch at my parent’s house and now we were on our way to C.J’s house. I put back on my big coat, and tried to prepare myself to break the news again. C.J’s family was significantly smaller than mine, his parents, his aunt and uncle, his grandparents and himself were the only ones to celebrate. C.J didn’t have any cousins on his mom or his dad’s side, so he said that his childhood was a little lonely but he did have Wilbur. Wilbur took the place of C.J’s brother in a lot of ways, and from all the stories I’ve heard the two were absolute trouble makers. 

    When we arrived at the Delaney Estate I had calmed down a little, and helped bring in some of the stuff. We didn’t even have to knock on the door before an unfamiliar man with a slightly familiar face appeared. He took the stuff from me without even saying hello, and I was then greeted by C.J’s dad, Augustine. Before I could stop him he gave me a big hug, and I knew that he noticed my baby bump. He pulled back suddenly, and looked at me with questioning eyes. I just nodded, and he smiled while pulling me back into the hug. He didn’t say anything to anyone else and I was grateful for that, and if anyone did have an issue I knew that I would have his support. 

    Soon after C.J had finished bringing everything in from the car I was introduced to his family. The man from earlier was his uncle who I realised shared a lot of features with Gwyneth. His aunt was a beta woman, who was a little on the bigger side with big salt and pepper curls. His grandma was still very tall, and so was his grandpa. All of them greeted me with open arms. Gwyneth was wearing an off the shoulder, red, floor length dress, and I thought that she looked gorgeous like usual. The thing that surprised me was that she was wearing a pair of santa earrings. I guess I knew where C.J got his Christmas spirit from. Also did I not get the memo? Everyone was wearing red, and I was wearing white, oh well at least my earrings are red. 

    We sat around and talked for a little bit before C.J's grandpa Mr.Delaney, got impatient and demanded that we open presents. I wasn’t really expecting to get presents considering they didn’t really know me, but I was surprised to see a lot of presents that had my name on them under the tree. 

    C.J’s grandparents opened their presents first, and they looked as if they were young again with how much joy they got from opening the gifts. I wonder if C.J and I will look as cute as them when we get to their age. Next his uncle and his aunt opened all of their presents. Then it was his mom and dad’s turn. I spent a long time thinking of what to get them. It’s a lot harder to buy rich people gifts than you think because they can just buy anything they want, so I chose to make something from the heart. Before my grandma passed away from lung cancer, we would spend almost everyday crocheting. She taught me everything I knew, and I was the only one she ever taught. None of her children knew, and none of my siblings knew either. It was our special little thing. So I decided to make Gwyneth a long, grey cardigan, and August a vest in the same color. It took me a long time, because I wanted to make them perfect. 

    I handed them their presents, and they took them with bright smiles. Gwyneth opened hers first, and let out a little gasp. 

    “Ellie, have you been reading my mind? I was just complaining to Augustine earlier that I can’t seem to find a cardigan that I like in this style. Where did you find this?” I don’t think my smile could have been bigger at that moment.

    “Well actually I made it myself” Everyone looked shocked, and she put it on while everyone appreciated my handiwork. Even Mrs. Delaney, and Augustine approved which boosted my confidence through the roof. ‘

    Augustine opened his and gave me a smile that matched his wife, “Oh Ellie, you don’t know how happy you have made Gwyneth. She always wants to match me, but me, not so much. Now we can match without it being too obvious. I am so happy that my son has someone as talented as you”