Chapter 12:SPEG mission (part 1)

((above is a picture of the cool black helmet that is given to her.))

I'd started training a 2 months ago and had had 8 training sessions so far, which consisted of target practise,disarming an opponent,stamina building,driving,passing lie detector tests. In the UK, the legal age for driving is 17, I was 13 at the time- so to say the least I was proud of myself. Also it makes much more sense to learn this sort of thing in the early years of secondary school age ,when you have more time. I wish I could tell my friends but I revel in secret talents anyway.

I'd opted to learn how to ride a bike because I'd always wanted to. Training was once a week on Sundays from 7 til 12 with a break at 9. I normally hate waking up that early but this was fun. 

The lady named Maria Hill who I have to address as Ms Miller publicly, picks me up from the local leisure centre and flies me to an unknown location in a small black quinjet with an extremely boring interior.There's not even a SPEG logo anywhere,SPEG doesn't even seem to have a logo. The flight normally takes about 45 minutes and there's no onboard WiFi. Normally I'd spend 10-15 minutes getting changed into exercise wear. My parents are under the belief it's a science scholarship so I had to wear appropriate clothing,the first week I wore formal clothing and didn't even bring a change of clothes. On the third week they gave me a grey shirt with black lettering that said S.P.E.G. That t-shirt was my pride and joy.

The SPEG training centre was always empty other than Ms Hill and I.

My first mission wasn't really my mission. I was meant to be shadowing and taking notes from this man in his early twenties, who joyously ignored me most of the time. His name was James Foster and he had a Welsh accent. Needless to say,he seemed to hate me. In fact the only person who seemed partial to me was the pirate man but I hadn't met him since.

This is how the day of the mission went:

"Ms Hill why don't you like me?" I asked,noticing how much her tone was clipped. She clearly didn't want to be here -she always seemed like that but today I really felt it.

"What?"

"I said why don't you like me?"

Maria Hill wasn't having the best day. Fury was intent on training this random child from nowhere and wouldn't let her just train at the academy like everyone else.This secret SPEG program was pointless in her eyes."I do like you."she said so they could resume training.

Maria stared at her inquisitively. That was rather brave. Then again, the girl barely knew her.

"No you don't. And I can tell you don't want to be here either."after a pause she added,"You don't have to like me but I don't know the reason I've given for you to dislike me."

"Kiara. I don't particularly dislike you or like you yet to be honest.I just don't really want to be doing this."

"Then why are you doing this?"

"Because I have to. I'm tired of babysitting these small jobs."Maria regretted it as soon as she said it aloud."I didn't mean-"

I put on my earmuffs and shot the target,hitting the center perfectly three times."Thank you for your time."I said sarcastically and stormed off to the nearest bathroom, not waiting to be excused for the break.

I know when I'm not wanted.

Perhaps I oughtn't be so sensitive. Maybe it's just who I am.

I knuckled away the tears and cooled the capillaries under my eyes with cold water so my eyes aren't red and puffy. This is my technique so people don't notice - other than that I usually schedule mental breakdowns when I have a shower which again covers up the fact I was crying.