ONE

"You're late." His jaw slightly clenched and brows furrowed. The team all turned to you as you walked into the room, taking your seat at the round table.

"I won't tolerate it, especially when we have a case." He shook his head and then proceeded to looked over at JJ who was stood by the screen waiting to present the case to the rest of the team.

He had been acting strange all week. Snapping at everyone for the smallest things. Usually, he'd hide his emotions a lot better than this. Something had to have been wrong.

You were pretty close to Hotch so this was unusual. He'd never normally talk to you, or anyone one in this way.

You apologized "I'm so sorry, I had some car troubles." and sat down next to Spencer.

"Don't worry about Hotch" Spencer whispered, " He's been like that with everyone for approximately 73 hours, 23 minutes and 14 seconds," he said, looking down at his watch.

You chuckled slightly.

Hotch was glaring at you both. "Let's get started," he said, now looking back at JJ.

JJ presented the kidnapping case, explaining how three young boys had gone missing and their bodies were found in Central Park. Another boy had just been taken, meaning they had 48 hours to find him before he joined the others.

"Wheels up in 30," Hotch said as everyone got up to go to the Jet.

You decided you were going to get to the jet early so that you wouldn't get told off again. Not that you'd mind, deep down you always had a small thing for Hotch. Probably something to do with your authority issues and liking older men.

Still, it was odd that he decided to call you out like that, especially in front of everyone else. Normally, he'd just pull you aside and mention it briefly, especially as you were friends. You had never known him to speak to you that way in the two years you had worked for the BAU.

As you walked onto the jet, you noticed Hotch was already taking his seat and you decided to sit down next to him.

"Hotch, are you okay?" You turned to him with a concerned look on your face.

"What do you mean?" He asked, keeping his head down, still reading the files he'd just got out his briefcase. 

"You don't seem like yourself lately." Knowing that Rossi was away seeing family, you knew he had no one to talk to, other than yourself. Not about personal matters anyways.

"Just, because I mentioned you being late? That's my job y/n. I have every right to confront you about not showing up on time. We have a serial killer to catch. How about we focus on that instead of you trying to profile me. "

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay. You keep touching your ring, are you having problems at home?"

You had met Hayley a few times before, but only when all the team got together and brought their significant others along. You had overheard a conversation they were having over the phone a few weeks ago where they were arguing because Hotch had to leave for a case again.

" And I overheard a phone call the other day and I know we're not supposed to profile each other, but I'm just worried about you and I -."

He looked up at you, stopping you from finishing your sentence. "That's enough Agent y/l/n. I don't appreciate being profiled and especially don't appreciate you eavesdropping in on my phone calls. If there was something wrong, I'd tell you? But there's not. Stop profiling me and don't do it again."

You stood there, not knowing what to say, slightly shocked at his reply. It was now awkward and silent.

He pushed his dark brown hair out of his face and rubbed his tired eyes