SIX

All you could think about was running away. Running straight out of the restaurant, running as far as you could and never stopping.

You weren't together but that didn't mean you weren't hurt. You spoke about the necklace together. You told him how much you liked it. You weren't really into material things but the fact it came from him would have meant a lot. But no. He gave it to her.

'There must have been a reason...' you thought to yourself. Why were you STILL defending him? That was enough.

You stood up and made your way to the bathroom, Hotch looking up, a confused look covering his face as you got up from your chair.

You rolled your eyes and scoffed, "If you'll just excuse me, I'm just going to the ladies' room."

Pushing the cubicle door open, you felt a hand on your upper back.

"Hey, are you okay?" you heard a soft voice behind you, "What's going on?"

It was Emily.

"I just, I can't talk about it Emily."

"Come on, you think I haven't noticed what's going on here? Were all profiler's y/n. What's going on between you and Hotch?"

"What's going on between you and JJ?" You snapped back slightly, trying to defer the conversation or at least, steer it in a different direction.

 "I, I don't know what you're..."

"Yeah, Em, I'm a profiler too you know. You think I haven't noticed what's going on here?"

She became somewhat flustered, running her fingers through her jet-black hair.

"Look, I'll tell you if you tell me." She offered.

You laughed, "What is this, High School?"

"Come on y/n. You know I'll keep your secret and I know you'll keep mine."

Crossing your arms, you huffed, "Fine. Just promise you won't say a word, okay?"

She leaned against the bathroom sink, waiting for you to spill.

You began to explain how Hotch had confided in you a few weeks prior about Haley and that he suspected her to be cheating. You told Emily how it just became a small fling and that it didn't mean anything. That was until he told you he was signing the divorce papers she had given him and that he wanted you. Which would have been fine, if he didn't bring her tonight in a necklace that you thought was for you.

"Oh my god, y/n. What the f-"

"Look, I know it's bad, okay? I still don't even know how I feel. He's my boss. He's our boss. He's-"

"He's married." Emily interrupted.

"Oh, and JJ's not?" You asked, already knowing the answer.

"It's different with JJ, okay? It's not just a fling like it is with you and Hotch. I, it's more than that."

"And what about Will?" You asked

"They're not together y/n, I thought you knew this?"

"Okay, but technically, they're still together. I know I don't have a leg to stand on here. I know that. But, it's not worth it Em. Trust me. Look what's just happened to me out there."