Two

Cover up with make-up in the mirror

Tell yourself, it's never gonna happen again

You cry alone and then he swears he loves you

Maddie had agreed to have lunch with her brother, Buck. She didn't really want to only because she wanted to look into this woman more but she figured she could use the distraction for a little. Josh was worried that she was becoming a little obsessed but in a situation like this you can never be too worried about someone.

Buck was acting a little weird today but Maddie just brushed it off, she figured he was going through something with one of his twenty girlfriends. He met her outside of work and they walked to a small cafe down the street. It was a cute little place and the food was actually pretty good.

"So, what have you been up to all week?" Buck asked.

"Did Josh call you?"

Buck just looked away, ignoring her question.

"I thought so. Ya know I'm fine and I'm not obsessing. I know she needs help and I'm just trying to figure out how to help her."

"Maddie, what's going on, and what makes you think she's in trouble?"

"Buck, I know what that situation looks and sounds like and I swear I'm not just projecting. There have been so many calls and reports but nothing has been done. He probably charms the police so they don't even think to question it. And she called last week, this was the first call from her but she couldn't say anything. Buck I've been in that exact spot, I know.." a few tears slipped down Maddie's face.

"I believe you Maddie but what are you gonna do about it? How can we help her? Unless she makes a report there's nothing we can do."

"I know.. but I know I need to help." Another tear slipped.

"Maybe you should talk to Athena and see if she can do anything. Maybe she can do a check-in or something. Something we can't" Buck suggested.

"You're right.. I'll call her later" Maddie offered Buck a smile and he smiled back.

****

This week had been unusually quiet and normal. Michael hadn't picked any fights or put his hands on Eleanor all week. She was glad but also worried. She had read stories about these kinds of situations and it was never good when they took a break. It always happened again and it was always a million times worse than before. She was just waiting for him to snap at this point.

"Morning babe," he smiled as he turned the corner into the kitchen.

"Morning.." Eleanor was sitting on a stool at the island looking over the weekly shopping list.

Michael walked over to the cabinet and grabbed a mug and a bowl. Then turned to grab cereal out of another cabinet.

"I made coffee, it's fresh," Eleanor spoke, watching as he moved around the kitchen.

"Thanks," he smiled and kissed her cheek. "Oh, I added a few things to the list."

Eleanor nodded before looking back at the list, making sure everything was on there. Michael poured his coffee and then came back to the island to pour his cereal. He offered her a mug but she declined. She had already had about three, that was more than enough for the day.

"When did you want me to go?" Eleanor asked.

He looked at his watch, checking the time before responding. "You can go now. Don't take too long, we have plans later. And my mother will be joining us tonight so wear something nice."

Eleanor nodded in response. She groaned internally at the mention of Micahel's mother. She and Victoria have never gotten along. Eleanor headed to the bedroom to get ready. Most of her bruises had begun to fade but there were still a couple that required some coverup. She finished up and returned to the kitchen, letting him know she was leaving before heading out.

****

"Please Athena, just one favor. I know something is going on here and I really wanna help her. I can't let this happen again.." Maddie pleaded.

"Fine. One favor. I'll look into it" she finally agreed.

"Thank you so much, Athena. Okay, so here's what I could find on my end. Her name is Eleanor Blair and his is Michael Spencer."

Athena took the file, flipping through the pages. She let out a sigh before looking back at Maddie.

"It's bad Athena. All abuse files look just like that, I know.."

"I'm sorry Maddie" she gave a sympathetic smile.

"I just wanna be able to help her. I wish someone would've helped me but now I know the signs and I can help her. Please help me help her."

"I'll see what I can do. Just promise me you won't approach them."

"Okay.." Maddie lied though. If she had the chance she was definitely gonna approach them.

****

"Are you ready?" Michael yelled down the hall.

"Ready," Eleanor walked down the hall toward him.

"What the hell are you wearing?" he looked at her in disgust. Victoria stood next to him mirroring his expression. 

"You said it was a dinner party. I thought you liked this dress." Eleanor looked at him in confusion. Victoria scuffed and walked toward the door.

"You look like a whore. Go change." He looked down at his watch.

Eleanor started to walk away but was quickly yanked back. His hand landed across her face and she was on the ground before she could even register what happened.

"Never mind, just stay home. I don't need my boss thinking I picked you up off the corner." Victoria laughed at that comment. She was just as vile and cruel as her son. Micheal leaned down, grabbing a fistful of her hair. "You better stay here and behave." 

He spit in her face before slapping her again and pushing her back to the ground. She could feel the blood trickle down her chin. He walked toward the door, turning once more to look at her before opening the door for Victoria. "Why do you make me do these things? You know I don't like to hurt you.." Then he turned and left.