Chapter 6 - Wings

As everyone settled in their seats, servants were quick to fill cups with tea or coffee according to the preference of the guest. It was uncomfortably quiet at first, and you knew that everyone noticed it. The only noise filling the space was the soft polka music playing from the garden record player settled at the side.

"So why did you call for us, Luci?" The record screeches and stops.

"To enjoy time with my sister, daughter and her associates... and why did I tell you about calling me 'Luci' in front of guests, N/n?" He growls through a smile.

"Nothing much, thought you liked it, or do you prefer, Apple baby?" You grip your fork tighter, your smile widening.

"Baby wings,"

"Shorty,"

"Mortal obsess," you get off your seat.

"Snake fetish," he does too, causing his chair to hit the ground.

"I do not!"

"But you do," the entire group looked scared as Alastor was happily watching in delight. "Do you want to go?"

"Anytime, sister," Lilith and Charlie both slap their foreheads and follow you two, who stormed off to the edge of the garden.

"What's going on?" Vaggie whispers to Charlie.

"They're going to have their competition," Lilith informs the group as Charlie nods in embarrassment.

"You're going down, shortass," you growl, all he does is scoff and take off his coat. "Thank god I wore shorts underneath,"  You stretch your back as he does too. Lining up a few metres away from a ledge leading to certain death Lilith takes a golden whistle laid in a ceramic bowl by a bush.

"On your marks..." you crack your knuckles as golden hoops appear in the red sky. "Get set..." Lucifer discards his hat as you tie back to your hair. "Go!" You both sprint at full speed, dropping off the ledge.

"HOLY SHIT!" Angel goes to run after only for Charlie to hold him back. A few seconds pass until two figures swoop up from below and up into the sky at full speed.

The air flew between each feather of your wings. They expanded and closed as you zoomed around each hoop and obstacle set in the sky. Of course you kept eyes on Luci as he caught up with you; evidently you were both rusty but hopefully you would beat him. Higher and higher you went as the top hoop seemed to almost reach heaven.

Alastor stood watching in awe, though it wasn't evident on his face he couldn't keep his eyes off the spectacle. Two angels, or rather fallen angels, battling head to head to win the race of... a Millenia! Depending on when the last time this race occurred.

From what he could make out from your body language, you longed this feeling, the feeling of flying. He watched as you passed the last hoop and stopped at the clouds. Everyone watched in anticipation as you and Lucifer stayed still in the air looking at heaven.

"You ever miss it?" Lucifer sighs and shrugs.

"What's to miss? I have a family here,"

"That's true... you need to stop being so hard on Charlie, she's trying her very best," you looked to Lucifer who scowled.

"I just don't understand why she'd want to redeem these low life's," Lucifer looks down at the garden where everyone was staring. "Have I not given her everything?"

"Sometimes Hell cant provide the same purity you passed down onto her," taking your brothers hand in yours he looks back up to heaven.

"What about you? Do you miss him?" You stop dead in your thoughts, letting go of his hand.

"You know how I feel about him," you growl as your brother chuckles and rubs your shoulder. "No use in feelings, he's up there, I'm down here," feeling a wave of wind pass you see Lucifer on his way down. "MOTHER FUCKER!" Wrapping your wings around yourself you propel downwards at lightning speed. Peaking over your wings you see Lucifer already on the garden floor. Unraveling your wings you slow down and land gracefully on the ground.

"A little too slow, N/n,"

"Because you're a cheater!" You shriek, storming up to your brother who smirked and stroked another mark on a tally board. "Declare me the winner or I show pre-fallen you," his eyes widen as he quickly erased the chalk mark and placed it on your side.

"I will get that picture,"

"I'm sure you will," you ruffle his hair. Looking to the group who were slightly shocked. "Not even a clap? Offended," A classic 1920s laughing track played and you weren't sure if it was mockingly or not, but you took it. "Thank you, Alastor,"

"Quite deserving! Quite the spectacle, wonderful entertainment indeed," he takes your hand and spins your around before dipping you. "Must be quite the ride," a subtle blush creeped up your face which made Lucifers eyes sparkle with mischief.

"Y-yeah, it's really uhm... exhilarating..." he lets you stand up properly.

"How about we go back to tea?" Lilith suddenly quips.

"Yup sounds good! Just give me a second," you quickly walk away to the garden bathroom. Once in the marble room you turn to the mirror and feel your flushed face. "What in fathers name?" You breathe out in confusion.

~~~

Beep boop

Beep boop

- Anna ❤️