16|| Bad Things

"It must've been difficult for you," I tell Alexander

"It must've been difficult for you," I tell Alexander. "Since you found yourself somewhere strange all of a sudden."

He looks confused. He makes it seem as though I asked a weird question which makes me confused in return when I carefully think about it. It's not like he knew where he was going at the time, right?

His full story is something I still haven't heard from him yet. So no matter what I think, it's probably far from the truth.

"I wouldn't say it was strange. I kind of knew by the time it happened that I was going there."

"How? Did they kidnap you or something? Did they threaten your parents? Drug you?"

His expression darkens with every single word I utter. He looks troubled after what I said- as if it brought back old, dark memories for him. It's true that he isn't the most jocular when it comes to CYP because of how they messed up his entire life but I can't help but think that there's more to it. There is always something about him that draws me in and makes me want to know more.

I just want to know what sort of bad things life treated him with to the point where he can't trust people so easily.

I know I shouldn't be one to talk because after all, I am the same as him. There are so many things we are unfortunately keeping from each other and don't seem like we're going to share any time soon. Nevertheless, I decide that it is about time I change the topic and ask Yazan a question I am curious about.

"By the way, how did you get into the company, Yazan? I know you briefly explained it but it must be more detailed than that."

He smiles.

"That might be a long story to tell and not necessarily the sweetest," he says looking down.

"I'm all ears. Sometimes, it's better to tell your story to someone rather than holding it in and feeling fed up," I tell him gently, knowing that Alexander is listening in. Maybe this will drive him to open up more.

"It really feels nice to finally have someone other than Alex, who has been with me for a long time, understand me too," he voices cheerfully.

"Believe me, me too," I assure him.

"As I have told you before, I was left by the orphanage door as a 2 year old toddler. The owner at the time was someone so kind that she decided to raise me by herself regardless of the fact that her place wasn't doing so well. We were around 10 children being taken care of by her and her alone for around 3 years. At one point, it was so hard for her to provide for us that she decided to go and beg to feed us. That's when she came across a shady person who was willing to help. She knew there were chances of jeopardy but dismissed the warning sirens for the sake of us and had no choice but to accept his help. We started living normally again- we were fed, taught, played with and we even slept comfortably on soft mattresses which we didn't previously have. However, that all changed when that shady person came back asking her to pay back triple the price. She had no choice but to work extremely hard to the point where we were neglected. One day, the we were really hungry so the older kids decided to cook us some food but them being kids and not knowing how to properly work anything, they ended up setting the place on fire. We lost our home. Young children being by themselves was a no-no so we were divided and taken by different orphanages. The one I ended up in couldn't handle me well. Usually, the kids they had were immediately adopted after being there for less than 2 years but for me, I stayed 4 years without getting picked. That's when CYP came into the picture. They offered to take me and provide me with a better life and the orphanage, knowing how badly it would end if they refused their offer, reluctantly gave me away. From then on, I remained their test subject," he explains.

My face molds into a frown. I knew his story would be sad but I didn't think it would be that awful. He basically suffered all his life yet still manages to crack jokes and smile everyday.

"But how did you manage to remain in the right state of mind even after being with them for 9 years?

"I was one of their first test subjects. Back then, they didn't have the proper drug. Using their sample drugs on us didn't have much of an effect."

I nod as I take in the information. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it's not your fault," he reassures me with a soft smile.

Alexander looks at us for a second before going back to the papers he was so engrossed in.

"John Griffin," he mutters and I pale as soon as I hear that last name.

"Are you okay?" Yazan asks when he sees my horrified face. Alexander immediately moves his head to have a more proper look at me.

"What happened?" he asks before he lets go of the papers and grabs a hold of my shoulders.

"Hello?" he snaps his fingers to try to pull me out of my zoning out state.

I release a shaky breath before I shake my head.

"What's with John Griffin? Why did you say his name?"

"He is the founder of CYP," he says before he lets go of my shoulders and goes back to grab the papers he put down. I blink before I lean over to have a proper look at the paper.

"But.. he's already influential and rich as is. What's the point of making CYP a thing?" I ask shakily.

Alexander raises his eyes to meet mine before moving them back to scan the paper.

"You look like you're in the verge of dying," he comments. I hold back an eye roll and insist.

"What's the point?"

"Power. Money. More influence. The normal. What do you think?" he sighs.

That's exactly it. I should have known the Griffin's would have something to do with it. Only they are capable of being that evil.