Lilith

I walked out of Mr. Kane's office still trembling. What just happened in there? Was my boss just about to kiss me? Or even trying to sleep with me? If Mrs. Martin didn't come in when she did what would have happened, and would I have let it happen? Too many questions roaming around my head. I walked into the staff meeting room with the rest of my department.

"It's so good of you to join us!" A balding man looked at me and shouted.

"Frank ease up she's not even late." Another man stood up and walked over to me and extended his hand "I'm Zach the marketing director, you must be Lilith" He shook my hand "Welcome to the team."

"Thank you." I said to him with a shy smile.

"Ok let's get started, so Mike, joseph and Wayne how are we doing with the toothpaste pitch?" He asked looking at a group of men in the corner.

"It's going great we just need to finish a few more slides and we are ready for this meeting." The tall man with the dark brown hair answered, I think it was Mike.

"great, great" then Zach turned to the mean balding man "So Frank any news on the McKenzie foundation?"

"It's the same as every year we pitch to them, they aren't interested in our company's help with marketing. They hate our boss." He said as a matter of fact, "I don't even know what's special about that foundation anyway."

"Mr. Kane wants that marketing contract so make it happen this year." Zach turned to me "Lilith why don't you help Frank and Richard on this project."

"Yes sir" I replied.

"oh, great now we get the new girl to fuck everything up." Frank said sarcastically.

"Well she can't do any worse than you." Zach put his hands in the air "What's it been 3 years of you fucking it up, I guess it's time for some fresh ideas." Zach rises from his seat "Ok everyone get back to work."

I walked to my desk and sat down at the computer to start researching the McKenzie Foundation.

I read: "Mr. and Mrs. Harris started the McKenzie Ray foundation along with a silent partner 10 years ago after Mrs. Harris gave birth to a stillborn baby girl, they named her McKenzie Ray. They were devastated by what happened, and the lack of support they felt after going through such a traumatic event. They along with an old high school friend started the foundation for grieving parents. They raise money for support groups, time off from work to heal that isn't covered by maternity/paternity time off. They throw a banquet every Christmas that companies pay a lot of money for a table which 100% of the profits goes to the foundation."

I started to investigate Mr. and Mrs. Harris and see if I could find any information on their silent partner. There was nothing on the silent partner only speculation that the partner was a millionaire posing as an employee for their other company J & J investment firm which he is co-founder with Mr. & Mrs. Harris.

"He must be a saint to invest his money in a company and foundation he will never be recognized for." I whispered to myself.

"What was that?" A voice said behind me.

I turned around to see Mr. Kane standing over my shoulder.

"I was just talking to myself sir." I looked at him embarrassed "I'm doing research on the McKenzie Ray foundation for the marketing pitch."

"Zach must think your good to put you on such an important project." He touched the top of my shoulder and his hand started tracing the length of my exposed arm down to the hand that was holding the mouse. He hovered the arrow over the word banquet.