Innocence and Wisdom

⇨ Innocence and Wisdom ⇦

“Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.”

-Mathew 10:16

I think we all want to be smart and wise when we are dealing with people, it is something we must have if we want to live with decent and dignity .

Jesus himself tells us to be smart as serpant, but how can we be like that?

Let's see what Bible teaches us:

“For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” 

-Proverbs 2:6

The verse is clearly telling us if we want to get wisdom, we need to listen to God's word.  What's God's word?  Bible.

But do you notice that the verse defined wisdom as "knowledge and understanding"
⇨ To be wisdom is to know how things work, to know what's happening around you, to know and understand what's written in Bible, how the world was created,  to know and understand what's right and what's wrong and why it's right or wrong, this only happens when you understand Bible, as it explains everything.

This verse is telling us to not stick to what we learned in school and to think out of the box, because knowledge requires the opposite, which means you need to read about everything and have an idea about everything happened/happens/might/will happen in the world .

Let's see another verse:

“How much better to get wisdom than gold! To get understanding is to be chosen rather than silver.”

-Proverbs 16:16

This verse is very practical!

A lot of us throw wisdom away when we get money, whenever we got money we decide to use it for our own interests, ignore God and Bible and start focusing on getting more money forgetting that God who gives us what we have can take it from us in the blink of eye.

We have to choose wisdom over money, we have to be wise in using the money we have, and never prefer earth pleasure on heaven.

Something else this verse talks about, is the people who choose to do bad things for money, knowing it's bad, we shouldn't be like them, become that's not wisdom.

Notice how for the second time God links wisdom with understanding.

•••••••

“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”

-Ephesians 5:15-17

Do you notice whenever wisdom is mentioned, understanding is mentioned too?  That means you can't be wise without understanding what you are doing and what's around you.