↳ three

As she sat in her seat at the back of class 1B, she continued to process everything around her. When her acceptance letter had arrived, she had felt more relieved than excited. Of course, her parents had been ecstatic. But now, as she looked around the room, she couldn't help but feel underwhelmed by how indifferent the students behaved to the ones in her junior high. She wasn't sure what she had expected, but it wasn't this.

Half the class was talking about irrelevant things and the rest were just looking bored. Some were even sleeping on their desks. It surprised her how unserious they were being, as if they hadn't come to a school of heroism. Surely they could behave themselves at least slightly more engaged?

"Alright you amateurs, settle down."

Everyone went silent as all heads turned to the door where a raven-haired woman had just walked in through.

"Welcome, Class 1B, my name is Nightmare and I'll be your homeroom teacher for the school year." She peered at us through the black mask that covered the top half of her face, studying us and trying to see what sort of students she would be teaching.

"I assume you're all excited to be here and I understand that, but as fledgling heroes you should learn to keep your composure. I won't tolerate childish behaviour in this class. Any misbehaviour and I'll personally expel you."

She looked seriously around the room, watching some fidget with intimidation under her gaze, before breaking out into laughter.

"Relax, I'm not going to be expelling anyone. Lighten up. Whilst what I said about your behaviour is true, I don't believe expulsion is the way to shape the future of heroes. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, by the way, get into your sports uniform, I have something planned for you, so meet me in the gym."

Everyone awkwardly stood up and walked to the side of the room to pick up a navy duffle bag with their name tag on it, before walking out of the class to the changing rooms. They were located just across the corridor.

In the changing rooms, Umiko changed silently, listening to the other girls' conversations.

"This sports uniform is so ugly, how am I supposed to attract any cute boys with this mess?" a blonde grumbled.

"Nakazawa, they're not supposed to be attractive, and surely you didn't just come to this school for boys," a girl with green hair responded, laughing lightly.

"Well, no, but I did see some attractive guys at orientation, but none of them got into our class. The ones in 1B are okay, but they're not my type," she replied.

"I don't know, you walked into the class with that Tajima guy, I kinda assumed you were dating," another girl chimed in mischievously.

"WHAT? NO! HE WENT TO MY MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HE'S THE MOST ANNOYING BOY I'VE EVER MET. I COULD NEVER DATE HIM!"

Her face was red with frustration.

"If you say so," the others giggled.

Umiko finished changing and walked away in the direction of the school gym. Listening to that conversation made her shudder. She'd never even thought of a boy in that way.

༺♡༻

"Is everyone here? Good, let's get started. First off, I need to sort you all into random pairs, so no complaining about who your partner is, and no switching."