↳ four

"Well, who do we have here?" a smiling young woman asked them. She had two brown horns on her head and flowing white hair.

"Umiko Fujiwara."

"And you?"

"Kayo Tsukamoto, but I'm not the injured one."

"Alright, hold on a second, I just need to check up on a patient first and I'll be back to as soon as I'm done. Sit down on that examination table."

"There's a patient on the first day?" Kayo asked.

"You'd be surprised. Some teachers push their first-year students past their limits from the moment they enter their classrooms."

"Sounds tough."

"Mhm," the nurse said, before opening a different door and disappearing behind it.

An awkward silence followed.

 He opened his mouth as if to speak but then closed it again. Umiko raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, Umiko, do you hate me?"

She was caught by surprise and looked down at her feet.

"Why would you think that?"

"It's just, at the entrance exam you seemed really mad at me when you shouted, and today you didn't look pleased to see me."

"Oh. No, it's not that. I don't know what's come over me recently, I just... I don't hate you."

"Are you sure?" he hesitated.

She nodded.

"Phew! For a moment there I thought I'd blown it with being your friend," he laughed with nervous excitement.

"You still want to be my friend?"

"Why not? Better to be friends than enemies," he shrugged.

"I guess."

"Also, sorry about the ankle,"

"It's fine," and she almost felt a small smile creep up on her face.

He checked his watch.

"Oh! I almost forgot about class, I should go. Meet up in the cafeteria later at lunch?"

"Yeah."

"Bye, Umiko!"

She watched as he ran out of the room, grinning from ear to ear. What a weirdo.

"Alright, what do we have here?" the nurse said, walking back into the room.

"I think I just twisted my left ankle."

"Ah, so nothing serious. What was your name again?"

"Fujiwara."

"Well, Fujiwara, it's nice to meet you. You can call me Ms. Recovery, as everyone else does. I doubt you'll be seeing me around much during the school year. Unless you have a particular habit of getting injured."