↳ nine

For almost everyone in Class 1B, the following three weeks passed far too quickly. Their constant training had been packed with everything from training their quirks to durability. And yet, for the students, three weeks was nowhere near enough to how much training they thought they'd need to prepare.

Still they made the most of the little time they had.

On the morning of the Sports Festival, Umiko found herself trying to quench any nerves that she had. She couldn't let herself look weak in front of the crowd, not when so many professional heroes would be watching them. It was her turn ton prove herself in front of everyone. She wasn't just a weak student who broke down whenever she got scared anymore.

As she was about to leave her home, she heard her mother calling her so she let her hand rest on the door handle, but didn't turn around to face her.

"We're going to be cheering you on at the Sports Festival, Umi. We'll be proud of you no matter what, just try your hardest and you'll have a chance of winning. Even though we won't be at the stadium, we'll be watching from the TV so just remember that we're there if you're nervous."

She let out a simple,"Thanks."

Turning the door handle, she swung it open and began to walk out. Just as she was about to close the door, she heard a barely audible sigh escaping from her mother. Umiko locked the door and just walked to school, pushing thoughts about her parents to the back of her thoughts. She couldn't let them distract her, not on today of all days.

When she arrived at the school, she couldn't help but notice the buzz of excitement wafting around the front gates. She supposed everyone was excited for the big event. Pushing through the large crowds, she finally made her way to her class where most of her classmates were already impatiently waiting for their teacher to arrive.

"Hey, Umiko, over here!"

She turned her head around and noticed the smiling ginger, grinning at her as he usually did. It had almost become routine, and sh head stopped trying to ignore him. Besides, without all his unchangeable positivity, she found that he was actually really powerful when he got down to hero business, which she respected.

Walking over to his desk, she sat down.

"What is it this time, Tsukamoto."

"How many times do I have to tell you to just call me Kayo!" he whined.

"I don't know you well enough to go by first name," she repeated for the millionth time.

"But you let me call you Umiko! Besides, friends are supposed to call eachother by their first name. In fact it hurts my feelings that you don't call me by my actual name," he dramatically swayed his head, pretending to be offended.

She shrugged.

"Anyway, are you excited for the festival?" he asked.

"I suppose, though I haven't given it much thought."

"Well, I'm aiming for the top. You might be my friend but I'm going to win no matter what."

Although it sounded like he was just making a joke about it to everyone else, Umiko could tell he was being sincere. He could almost be as serious as he could be excited, and that was saying something.