Eight | nightmare

I rose from the bed, a panting mess. Again, I had a nightmare. I quickly rose from my bed and took my recorder. The night sky is impeccably perfect but a nightmare had to ruin it. Putting on the earphones, I slid down from my room (the attic) and went to the kitchen to get myself a glass of warm milk.

    "Oh, you're awake too?"

    I looked at the fox-eyed person who sat on a chair, one had clasped o the other. I hummedas I rummaged through the fridge to get the milk carton and started heating it on a pan. "Why are you still awake?" I asked, he just looked down, avoiding my eyes. "Can you at least tell me?" Once the milk was warm enough, I put some ice in the glass and handed it to him.

    "What's the purpose for heating the milk when it will still cool off?"

    "What's the main purpose my dad worked so hard to finish the effective vaccine when my mom still died in the end?"

    He looked at me with a confused look until it dawned on him. "Your father is the great hero who made the vaccine?" I just nodded and took a sip. "It was supposed to be for my mom. So that they can both take care of me. But mom died, and I was revived through operation and dad died of overwork." I took another sip. The milk was getting colder.

    "Can I listen?" I looked at him, he was referring to my recorder. With a sigh, I gave him the other earpiece.

    "Once upon a time, there was a princess who lived in a castle—— wait, are you recording this again?"

    "Yup."

    "Now, put that down for a bit. Do you wanna listen?"

    "I do, but can't I at least record while I do?"

    "Okay, but make sure you listen. She was born with hair as black as ebony and lips as red as blood——"

    "...and her skin as white as snow. Tell me another story please, mommy?"

    "What about, I'll just sing you a song?"

    "Cool!"

    "Did you dream you'd be a hero someday? Who would grow up and change, the world someday? Well, the world you changed, is mine, it's true. And I hope you could see what I see in you..."

    "I see a hero, I see a light. Living by faith, everyday by my side, I see a hero, I see a star. Showing the way, just by being who you are. Best of all, I see who I hope to be, a hero, like you are to me..."

    "Goodnight now, Demi."

    "Goodnight, mommy."

    "Ah, where is that recorder?——— ah, here it is. I love you for always my little half."

    I wiped the tears away from my eyes. He looked at me with a sad smile. "This seems like a deep memory." I chuckled. "Because it is. You need to sleep, so do I. I still have training tomorrow." I said as I brushed off any questions he might ask.

    "Demi, I'm Jeongin. Yang Jeongin."