𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞

tammy was still on a high from the game a couple of weeks before, but was swiftly brought down with the news of skye's great-grandmother's passing.

skye had always been close to her great-grandmother, kate. she had been the first relative she'd met, after her parents, and since then the two had formed a very strong bond. skye would bake for kate every week, with tammy helping out sometimes.

tammy knew skye had known this was coming. kate had been going on one hundred and three, and while she was quite healthy and amazingly mobile for someone her age, she was getting tired and they all knew, deep down, that it was only a matter of time.

but that didn't make it hurt any less.

the day of the funeral dawned warm and sunny. tammy was glad. he knew it would be easier for everyone with the weather in such nice condition.

'are you ok?' he whispered to skye as they walked in. skye shrugged, which was better than tammy expected.

five minutes in and tammy found himself crying along with skye. he'd only met her a few times but he'd loved kate and her contagious happiness.

to the relief of many of those present, the service passed quickly. tammy and skye both preferred the wake, after the funeral. when everyone just sat down, ate cake and talked. tammy wondered why people didn't just scrap the depressing funeral service in service of this.

'feeling better?' tammy asked gently, sitting down next to skye and handing her a slice of chocolate cake.

skye shrugged and gave him a small smile.

'i'll be ok.' she murmured, 'cake helps.'