Ch 2

I was in the board meeting leaned back in my seat at the head of the table while Joker's ring was being rolled between my fingers subconsciously as I stared down absentmindedly even though I was listening intently. A lollipop in my mouth, I had a bowl out thinking it would be a nice gesture but all the board members are old geezers who probably can't handle such candy or they're just being professional, which was also understandable.

Natalie is in the corner of the room in her own seat, taking notes of any key points in the meeting.

"Wayne Enterprises has been under intense public scrutiny in the wake of Mr.Wayne's passing." I hear one of the oldest board members, Donald Menken speak.

"You mean people are shocked that the infamous Batman was the most famous man in Gotham who was murdered by Superman, a man people looked up too for protection like some sort of, god." I break my silence looking up to see the other board members looking down silently, not knowing what to say. 

"Given that...Much of that scrutiny may fall on you now. We felt that plausible deniability was your best option." Donald continues.

"You want me to lie about who my dad was? After everything he did for us, for everyone, for Gotham?" I question offended.

He opens his mouth but I continue.

"How do I even deny it when everyone already knows?" I shrug at the stupidity of this man waving my lollipop around a bit.

"Jackie-

"It's Ms.Wayne. We're not friends." I tell him matter of factly.

"But you know what? I get it. You guys don't trust me." I sigh standing up from my seat needing to move around.

Natalie looks up at the billionaire intently at her sudden movement.

"I mean, I'm up in my neck in tattoos, I cuss, I do what I want no matter who's watching and you guys don't like that. But I've done a lot for this company and a lot that you guys don't know about. And now I'm the face that runs the place. My dad may have sat back and let you guys do what you want but I'm not him and I don't trust anyone in this room including myself so I will be involved and whether you like it or not I'm here to stay. Anybody got a problem with that?" I raise a brow leaning on the table looking at everyone's faces.

Silence. None of them making eye contact.

"Good. Then you can all keep your jobs..for now." I sigh stepping back.

"Now, earlier this week I was looking at some of the old books. Some being actual old physical files and I was running some numbers and man...some shit doesn't add up. Literally. I got some zeros missing and some commas." I chuckle shaking me head.

"So um..can you explain that, Mr.Chief Financial Officer?" I raise a brow to Donald who slowly turns to me.