What're You Grateful For When You're in a Hopeless Situation

Leon could hear Cynthia's raspy breathing and managed to open his eyes. After being captured by the other group and interrogated where they revealed nothing he remembered being dumped into this room. He blinked a few times to clear his vision and looked over at Cynthia, through their link he could feel a small amount of her pain that she couldn't completely hide away. She was conscious which was a good thing, her head tilted back against the wall, black hair out of its ponytail and jagged at the ends from the interrogator's actions. Her black jeans were soaked with her blood, the right leg of her jeans had already been cut away by Leon's shaking fingers to examine the wound, her teeth were gritted, her jaw clenched with her hands curled into fists at her side. Her leg was a bloody mess, caved in looking and completely covered in the scarlet liquid with the puddle around her getting bigger by the minutes. "Cindy, are you ok?" He asked worried scooting closer to her.

"No." She grunted, her breathing was raspy pants, raspy from the howling she'd done earlier when she'd been given her injury. "I'm on fire."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault Leon."

"I know, but it feels like it." It was silent for another few minutes, Leon trying to wrap his head around the idea that his friend probably wasn't going to live through this thing while Cynthia struggled to stay conscious and aware of what's going on. "How long was I out?"

"I can't say," She groans, "You were out for a long time."

"An hour?"

"Probably."

He could tell she was starting to struggle with her words, struggling to stay coherent. He pulled her over so her head was in his lap. "Today's thanksgiving, what's something you're thankful for? I'm thankful for the peace between Brendon and Haliah." He says, running his fingers through her now shorter black hair

"The cooperation between your family." She replied with a grunt, blue eyes open but slowly slipping closed.

"Winning the basketball championship this year." And so the game went for a while, both teens listing everything they could think of, Cynthia's replies started to get softer and shorter, a visible struggle. "Come on Cindy, your turn," Leon nudged her, "What else?" he asked the girl on his lap, her mangled leg held funny while her cheek was resting against his chest.

"I'm grateful for being alive." She gasped out, shivering slightly despite the jacket Leon had thrown over her.

"I'm grateful for the group we have."

"Your sister." She gasped, each breath was a struggle, the pool of blood on the floor around her leg was the size of a medium sized crimson colored circular rug.

"What else?" He asked, desperation coloring his tone, "Come on, there has to be something else Cindy, stay awake for me please!"

"You." She uttered, blue eyes slipping completely closed.

"Cindy stay awake! Holly's going to be here soon, don't go to sleep!" he shook her by the shoulders, "Please Cindy!"

"Leon." She breathed, and forced her blue eyes open with a struggle, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry just don't go to sleep!"

Cynthia ignores his comment, "I love you." She managed, looking at him through glassy blue eyes, shivering, her face shining with sweat and as white as chalk.

"I love you too Cindy," Leon replied and hugged her close as her eyes fluttered shut, her breathing weakened, and her shivering also slowed to a near stop. "I love you so much." He whispered into her hair, amber eyes welling with tears, "You mean the world to me." Cynthia breathed a weak purr as a response to his words before she went still, her breathing slowly stopping. Leon started crying, holding her against his body and wailing with grief, feeling the link he had to her weakening the longer he was stuck there with her unmoving in his arms.

The door burst open and Holly rushed in and promptly froze before jerking into action and carefully making Leon let Cynthia go so she could perform CPR. "Jay!" She yelled, "Bring that oxygen regulator over here!" Leon watched nearly blinded by his tears as his sister tried vainly to bring Cynthia back, feeling like there was a hole growing in his heart.