Her Parent's Daughter

"But I don't want to!" Caylee whined, dark brown hair like her mother's up in a braid her mother had done for her, icy blue eyes pouting. "School's boring!"

"No it's not Caylee," Jay sighed rolling his eyes, "It's-"

"It's only boring if you want it to be boring!" Bree interrupted as she rolled up the stairs to her daughter's room where Jay was arguing with the mentioned daughter about going to school. Bree's amber eyes glittered cheerfully and her voice hadn't lost the excitable edge she had had since she was little. "Don't you want to see your friends Caylee?!"
"I don't have any friends!" Caylee complained, "Nobody likes me!" She was trying her hardest to get out of going back to school.

"Aren't your cousins your friends?!" Bree asked her, rolling over to where Caylee and Jay were sitting on the former mentioned's bed.

"I find it hard to believe that Flynx, Connor, Kia, Minerva, Lixa, Alexa, Cleo, Tyler and Miles aren't your friends Caylee." Jay said a bit bluntly, "Your cousins love you to death, all ten of them."

"But Kia, Minerva, Cleo, Tyler and Miles are all younger than me!" She complained, "So none of them can talk to me!"

"Caylee," Bree said gently, "Flynx and Alexa are both your age, they're only a few months older and younger than you, and Connor and Lixa is a year and a half older than you, I'm sure they'd play with you if you asked them to."

"I don't want to ask," Caylee mumbled, "I don't want to interrupt them."

"I bet they'd love to have you join them!" Bree smiled at her daughter, "If you have the right attitude nobody really minds being interrupted, take it from me!"

"But I don't want to go, I don't like the work!"

"You're a gifted child Caylee, it's going to be easy for you for a while, why don't you bring a book or something and read?" Jay suggested.

"Or you could try and help everyone!" Bree's amber eyes twinkle as the sight of her daughter's blue eyes light up.

"How?"

"Well when I was in school I cracked jokes, wore the funniest things to make people laugh, and talked to everyone, until I got stuck in this thing anyway!" Bree smiled and even Jay smiled a bit at the sound of his daughter getting excited.

"I wanna try that!"

"If you go to school you can try it!" Bree smiled, "There's a lot of people there!"

"Okay!" Cayless climbed onto her mother's lap and hugged her, "Tell me a story!"

"What kind of story?!" Bree asked as she turned and started down the stairs with Jay on her heels.
"About the flood!"

"Okay! So most of our group of friends were at the canyon..."

"She's a lot like you." Jay told Bree as they watched their daughter rush over to Flynx and Alexa, greeting absolutely everyone, just like her mother had down as a kid.

"Are you kidding?!" Bree giggled, "She's got your knack for complaining!"

"This again?" Jay rolled his eyes, his tone amused and playful, "I do not have a knack for complaining."

"Oh you totally do, brother of mine." Holly sighed as she, Cynthia, Leon, and Ivory all made their way over to Bree and Jay. "I can barely handle three kids, how can you handle four Cindy?" She asked her best friend who rolled her eyes and grumbled.

"A lot of patience and time."

Leon grinned and kissed his wife's cheek, being cheeky about the whole unexpected twins thing. "Believe me," He told his sister, "We were totally blindsided by twins."

"Minerva and Kia are a year apart and that was hard, twins must be exhausting."

"Like you wouldn't believe." Cynthia shook her head before turning to Bree, "I think Caylee has more of you in her than Jay, I mean, she isn't blind right?" She grinned cheekily at Jay who huffed and settled on glaring at her.

Bree giggled before she replied, "I like to think so! But she gets her stubbornness from Jay!"

"What? No she doesn't, she gets it from both of us!" Jay retorted indignantly.

"Nope! Just you!" Bree grinned as she started back towards their house, Jay on her heels.

"You are just as stubborn as I am," Jay grunted.

"I know!"