Eight

A/N: I'm more than likely going to be stretching the length in between events from the show in this book for plot purposes

Kya

Seven weeks later

Lin and I have been keeping our secret for a little over two months now. Although, I wish we didn't have to keep it a secret. I wish I could tell the world that I'm lucky enough to be dating Lin Beifong. I haven't been able to see her much lately. She's been working a lot with Team Avatar, and Tenzin on the Amon thing. The only times I do see her is when she comes back home and goes to bed. I knew what I was getting into when we started dating. Lin's married to the job, even when she's not Chief of Police. I was sitting in the living room of Lin's house, reading the newspaper, when she finally came through the door. "How was it at my brothers?" I said, not taking my eyes off the paper. I was hoping she'd catch the tone in my voice of me being upset. She's over there all day every day. Lin let out a large sigh. She went back to her bedroom, completely ignoring my question. I had brought it up to her before. A couple weeks ago, actually. She said she promised to try to make more time to be with me, but that promise was broken. Lin came out in her white tank top and pants. "There's tea on the stove." I said. Lin gave me a thumbs up before going to the kitchen and getting her a cup. She came back out and sat next to me, bringing her feet up on the couch and leaning against me. "What're you reading?" She asked as she took a sip of her tea. "Oh, it's this really interesting article about how not spending time with your girlfriend can make her extremely upset and pissed off at you." I said, my eyes still attached to the paper. "Kya?" Lin said in a surprised tone.

     Lin can easily get an attitude, but so can I. "Hm?" I said. "Whats wrong?" She sat her cup down on the table. "Really? You're seriously gonna ask me whats wrong? After you've been no where but Air Temple Island for the past three and a half weeks?" I said. "Kya, I'm sorry, I really am, but this stuff with Amon-" " "Is a number one priority right now, yeah, I get it." I rolled my eyes. "I don't get why this is such a problem for you, Kya? I thought you'd want us to get these guys." Lin said. "I do, Lin, but I'm getting sick and tired of my brother calling here every damn day, needing you to go to the island." I said. "Oh, I'm sorry my job comes first." Lin said sarcastically. "What job, Lin!? You're not chief of police anymore!" I looked at her as I raised my voice. Lin seemed taken back at my sudden outburst. The phone rang, Lin got up and answered it. "Hello? -- Tenzin, right now isn't a good time. -- Yes, I understand that, but- What? What do you mean?" Lin let out a frustrated sigh and glanced at me. "Fine. I'll be right there." Lin hung up the phone. She went back to the bedroom and came back out in her uniform. She grabbed her coat off the chair. "There you go again, at my baby brothers beck and call." I said. "Since you have such a big problem with me going to Air Temple Island, then why don't you go with me!?" Lin argued as she put her coat on. "Maybe I will!" I said loudly. "Fine!" Lin said. "Fine!" I threw the paper down on the coffee table and got my coat on, following Lin out of the house.

We walked into Tenzin's house, my arms crossed over my chest. "Kya, what're you doing with Lin?" Tenzin asked. "I was at her-" "We ran into each other on the way here." Lin cut me off. I gave her a dirty look. Bumi chuckled at the lie she had just told. "What?" Tenzin asked him. "Oh, nothing." Bumi said as he walked away. Tenzin shook it off and turned back to us. "Anyways, thank you for coming, Lin. Come with me." Tenzin said before walking away. "Are you coming?" Lin said with an attitude as she walked. "Oh, no, I don't want to be a bother to you since, ya know, spending time with me has become such a chore." I said. Lin scoffed and walked away. "Well, that sounded bad." Bumi came back in. I let out a large sigh and sat on the couch, he sat next to me. "I know that she has a duty to Republic City, but she's over here all the time with Tenzin and Korra talking about Amon. It's like I never see her." I said. "Well, why don't you just come with her? There, then you'll get to see her." Bumi said. "Yeah, but I can't hug her. I can't kiss her." I said. "Why not?" Bumi said. I looked over at him and raised my eyebrows. "Who cares what our little brother thinks? He had his chance with Lin." Bumi said. "It's not just how Tenzin will react, she likes to keep her private life just that; private. Part of me thinks she just doesn't want to be seen with me." I placed my elbow on the arm of the chair, and my chin in the palm of my hands. I let out another large sigh. "I need to apologize to her." I said. "For what?" Bumi asked. "I was so mean to her when she came home tonight. She was clearly under a lot of stress and all she wanted to do was cuddle with me on the couch and drink tea, but instead I started a fight." I said. "Now she's stressed and in a bad mood." I said. "Then go apologize to her." Bumi said. "She's working, Bumi." I said. "So. Look," Bumi pointed to Pema walking over to Tenzin, handing him a cup of tea, and giving him a kiss on the cheek. "It doesn't matter how hard or how focused he is, he always enjoys even the slightest bit of attention from someone he loves." Bumi said. "What?" I looked over at him. "What? All I'm saying is that Lin might like some attention while she works from someone she loves." Bumi said. "Loves?" I said. "You mean you can sense the romantic tension between Korra and Asami from ten miles away, but you can't tell when you're own girlfriend is in love? What's wrong with you?" Bumi said.I took a deep breath. "Thanks, Bumi." I said before getting up.

"Hey, I'm sorry to interrupt but uh, Tenzin, Meelo dared Bumi to do a flip into the water, and now he's climbing dads statue." I said. "What!?" Tenzin shot up from his chair and ran out the door, Korra followed. Lin didn't even look at me. I went behind her chair and wrapped my arms around her. I leaned down and kissed her scarred cheek, resting my chin on her shoulder afterwords. "What?" She said sternly. "I'm sorry." I said. Lin didn't say anything. Instead, she looked away from me. "Lin, I really mean it." I said. She grumbled lightly. I thought back to what Bumi had said moments before. I took a deep breath in. I reached around and placed my right hand on the side of Lin's face to make her look at me. "I love you." I said. Her eyebrows raised as she gained a surprised expression on her face. "Kya-" "Well, now that that's taken care of." We heard Tenzin come back inside. I removed myself from Lin's shoulders and stood up straight. "What're you two talking about?" Korra came back into the room, Tenzin followed. "We were just-" "It was nothing." I cut Lin off. "Hey, Tenzin, is it cool is I stay here tonight?" I asked him. "Is your current living position not working out?" Tenzin asked. I told him I was staying with a friend. "No, it's working out fine. Just miss my baby brother is all." Tenzin cringed at me calling him my baby brother. "Yeah, go ahead." Tenzin said as he sat back down in his chair. I walked back to my room and shut the door. I laid down on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

It's been a few hours since Lin left the island. Maybe Bumi was wrong? Just as I was falling asleep, I heard a voice at my window. "Kya." I got up an walked over to the voice, seeing Lin sitting on the tree branch next to my window. "Lin, what're you doing?" I said with a chuckle. She made her way into my room, almost tripping over herself climbing through the window. "I couldn't sleep without you." Lin sat on my bed. I sat next to her and wrapped my arm around her waist. She laid her head down on my shoulder and I kissed her forehead. "I love you too." I heard her mumble. "What was that?" I said with a smile on my face. Lin looked up and me and pulled me into a deep kiss. "I love you." She said again. "I couldn't quite hear you." I joked. "Shut the hell up and say it back." Lin said. I let out a small laugh. "I love you too." I said before kissing her again.