Eleven

Lin

     "Very well." His thumb pressed against my forehead. I could've sworn I heard a chuckle escape from his mouth. My eyes widened. It started with my head a moved all the way down by body. I felt numb...weak. He removed his hands. They let go of my body. My face hit the concrete. That cold, wet, concrete.

     I shot up, my head pounding, and my body shaking uncontrollably. I brought my hand up to my forehead. Beads of sweat ran down my nose. I looked over and saw Kya peacefully sleeping next to me. I quietly got up and went to the bathroom. I turned the faucet on and began to splash some on my face. I wiped my face with my tank top and leaned against the bathroom counter. Tears rolled down my cheeks and fell into the sink below me. I heard a knock at the door before Kya walked in. "Hey." She said. "I'm sorry for waking you." I said, still catching my breath. "Never be sorry. Another nightmare?" Kya walked behind me and wrapped her arms around my waist. I silently nodded my head. Kya turned me around to face her. She reached up and wiped my tears. "I wish you would let me heal you before bed. It might help make them stop." She said. "I'll be fine, Kya. They'll stop." I looked down at the stone floor. I could feel it.. but at the same time I couldn't. I knew it was there, but I could no longer see all the small rocks inside of it. I felt more tears run down my face Kya wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me into a hug. I let my head rest against her shoulder while I cried into her neck.

     "How is she?" "She's fine, Tenzin, you don't have to come over here all the time to check on her." I struggled to open my eyes. The sun was warm on my face. I pushed the blanket off of me and walked into my living room. "Lin, you're up." Tenzin was sitting on my couch. "Yeah." I said. "Sorry if loud mouth over here woke you up." Kya walked out of the kitchen with two cups of tea. "Do you want tea?" Kya asked me. "Uh, yeah." I said, my eyes still adjusting to the light. Kya placed one hand on my side and gave me a quick kiss before going back into the kitchen. "How are you feeling?" Tenzin asked. "I'm fine. A couple of bruised ribs, but nothing I can't handle." I sat down in the chair. "I tried to get her to let me heal them, but she refuses." Kya said as she handed me a cup of tea. "I'll be alright." I said. "Also, how many times do I have to tell you to close the damn curtains in the morning?" I said. Kya sat on the arm of my chair and placed her arm around my shoulders. "I'm sorry, I forgot." She said with a chuckle before leaning down and kissing my head. I looked up at her and softly smiled at her. "Wow, Lin, I never see you smile." Tenzin joked. "What do you mean? Lin smiles all the time." Kya looked at Tenzin. "Really?" Tenzin said. "Looks like someone is finally happy again." Tenzin said. Kya looked down at me and smiled. "How's Korra?" I asked Tenzin. "She's been to every healer in town. Mom is gonna be coming tomorrow to try to do her best but as of right now, her bending is gone." Tenzin said. I closed my eyes for a second and took a deep breath. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw Amon's face. "I hope she feels better soon." Kya said. "Lin, is everything alright?" Tenzin said. "Yeah. I just uh- I think I'm gonna go lay down for a bit." I stood up and took my cup into the kitchen.

     "Lin, are you sure everything's alright?" Tenzin came into the kitchen. "I'm fine, Tenzin." I said. "You know, Lin, meditation can really help remove stress and tension." Tenzin said. He placed a hand on my shoulder "And nightmares-" "I don't need your stupid spiritual bullshit, Tenzin!" I snapped at him, pushing him back. "Everything good in here?" Kya came in. "Yeah." I said. "Everything is fine." Tenzin said. "I'm gonna go back to the island. My wife probably needs me." Tenzin glared at me before leaving. "If I had my bending, I'd send arrowhead ten feet in the damn air." I said. "He was just trying to help, Lin-" "Well I don't need his help. I don't need anyone's help, Kya!" I yelled. I tried walking away but Kya stopped. "You're not gonna yell at me and then just walk away, Lin. All we want to do if help you." She said. "I don't need anyone's help. I can handle my fucking self." I said. "Is it you don't need help, or you don't want it?" Kya said. "Lin, getting help doesn't make you weak. You don't have to go through this by yourself." Kya pulled me close to her. She pushed some hair behind my ear, then rested her hand on my cheek. "I love you, Lin. I'm not gonna let you go through this by yourself." She said. "I love you too." I said quietly. She pulled me into a gentle kiss. "Now let me heal your ribs." She said. I let out a large sigh. "Fine." I said. We went into the bathroom. I pulled my clothes off as she filled the tub. From the corner of my eye I saw her staring at me. "You see something you like?" I said with a small smile. "Definitely." Kya said. She walked over to me and put her hands on my waist. She pulled me into a kiss. She went to unhook my bra but I stopped her. "After you heal my ribs." I said. "Deal." Kya smirked.

     I laid my head on Kya's chest and she played with my hair. "I can tell your ribs are feeling better." She said. I let out a little chuckle and tightened my grip around her bare waist. Kya pushed some of my hair away and kissed my forehead. "Will you let me heal your head tonight before you go to sleep?" Kya asked. I grumbled. "Please?" She said. "I'm not helpless, Kya!" I leaned up and looked at her. "Nobody said you were." Kya leaned up. "But, Lin, I hate waking up in the middle of the night and seeing you leaning over the sink, or hugging your knees in bed." Kya said. "Sorry for becoming such a burden, Kya." I said. "I didn't mean it like that, and you know that." Kya said. "All I want to do is heal your head.. and if it doesn't work tonight then I won't ask again." Kya said. I saw tears in her eyes. "Just this once." I said to her. She got up, threw her pants and t-shirt on, and got water from the sink, then sat back down with the bowl in her hand. After I pulled my pants and bra on, I laid my head in her lap and let her heal me. "Remember when I cured your hang over that morning?" Kya asked. I opened my eyes and saw her smiling. "Yeah. Bumi was a real pain in my ass that morning." I said.

"I thought the Lin Beifong didn't get hangovers"

"Awe does Linny need a healer?"

"Did you really need a healer or we're you just trying to get closer to me."

Bumi had teased me all day that day. "Yeah, he's an ass." Kya said. I laid there, staring at Kya while she healed me. "What?" She chuckled when she noticed me staring. "You're just.. so beautiful." I said. Kya smiled hearing the words come out of my mouth. "I love you." I said. "I love you too." Kya said. She put the water back into the bowl. "You're all done." She leaned down and kissed my forehead. I kept my head in her lap. "Lin?" She said. I raised my eyebrows at her. "Are you gonna get up?" She asked. "I just wanna lay like this for a bit longer." I said. Kya gave me a soft smile. I closed my eyes as she began to play with my hair. I rolled over, my head still on her lap, but now I could wrap my arms around her waist. Kya continued to play with my hair. I hurt more than Kya could heal, but I wasn't gonna let her know that. She already had so much to worry about, I wasn't gonna add another thing to the list. I leaned up and kissed her deeply. "I love you." I said. "I love you too." Kya said. "No, Kya, I really really love you." I said. "Lin, I really love you too." She said. "I promise." She placed her hand on the scarred side of my face. "Lin?" Kya said. "Hm?" I said. "How did this happen?" She dragged her fingers across my scars. I didn't answer her. I laid down on my side of the bed and pulled the blankets over me. "Im sorry." Kya said quietly. "It's fine, Kya. Just- just go to bed." I said. I felt Kya lay down. She wrapped her are around me and buried her face into the back of my head. "I love you." She whispered in my ear. I waited a few second before I responded. I've never told anyone about how I got my scars. About how it was all my sisters fault. How my mom just let her off the hook. How she never apologized, even after thirty years.. I haven't told anyone about how horrible my life has been. Maybe some day I'll tell Kya... "I love you too."