Bad Beginnings

A/N Holy fuck this was short, definitely need to revisit this fic

Somewhere outside of Bangor, Maine. 3:45 pm, October 29 nth, 2011.

[3 hours and 15 minutes until the captivity.]

Pete's POV.

I yawned as we passed a sign that said "Last rest stop for 75 miles" with a little smiley face in the corner. We could all use a smile like that. Joe reached up and put a hand on my shoulder. He was sitting in the seat behind me and I could see his concerned face in the rearview mirror.

Joe "Why don't you pull over and switch places for a few hours? You look like you need a break." I did and he knew it.

"Thanks, Joe. That would be great." I pulled into the little rest stop that also served as a gas station and parked the car at the first available pump. I looked over at Patrick who had fallen asleep in the passenger's seat. He seemed to be having some sort of bad dream because he was making little whimpering sounds.

Andy jumped out and pulled the passenger door open. "Patrick, wake up Buddy. You're having a nightmare." He gently touched Patrick's arm and he jumped awake. "Hey, it's ok. Come sit back here with Pete. I'll help Joe drive for a while." Andy put his arm around Patrick's shoulders and guided him back to the back. "Do you want anything from inside?"

Patrick mumbled. "Just a water, please." He rubbed his eyes and groaned a little as he stretched.

I leaned the seat back until it was flat and grabbed a blanket. "Come lay down with me for a few minutes." I laid flat along the seat and patted the spot beside me. Patrick looks exhausted. His eyes are bloodshot and surrounded by giant black circles.

Patrick "OK." I tucked the blanket around us and buckled us in. It felt nice to have my arms around Patrick. He felt so cold and frail. Within moments Patrick was asleep. Joe was back to the van by now and Andy was close behind.

Joe "The van is all gassed up! Everyone ready?"

Andy "Yep!" He handed out large cups of ice water and hot coffees. "The man at the counter says It's going to get really cold within the next few hours."

"I'm already cold. How far to the cabin, Joe?" He consulted the map for a few minutes.

Joe "Probably about 4 more hours. We'll wake you guys up when we're about 20 minutes out."

"Thanks."

* * * * *

BOOM! I awoke with a jolt as a bolt of lightning struck nearby. It was so dark that the only light that I could see was coming from the headlights. A thick mixture of rain and snow beat down on the van from all sides. Joe actually looked nervous, and he was gripping the wheel with white-knuckled hands. Joe saw me looking at him in the mirror.

Joe "Hey, welcome to the party. I think that we're about an hour out from the cabin but it'll probably be a lot longer with this weather." This time the lightning struck a lot closer.

"Should we pull over and wait for it to pass?"

Andy "I think we'll be fi-"He was cut off as a lightning bolt struck the road directly in front of us. Joe swerved and the van went off the road. We all started to scream as the van started rolling. I grabbed ahold of Patrick, trying to protect him as loose objects slammed around us. I felt the seat belt break and my heart leaped into my throat. No! No! No! I can't lose him! I can't let go! But I did. I slammed into the window and everything went fuzzy around the edges.

I knew that the window had shattered, but I couldn't tell if it was blood or sleet running down my shoulders, but from Patrick's terrified stare it was probably a mix of both. I think that the van is upside down, but it could also just be me. Patrick was shouting something to me now, but the ringing in my ears was just too loud. Also, Patrick looks really cute when he's all concerned like this and it's very distracting.

Patrick "Pete! Pete! Oh god! Please say something to me! Anyone! Andy?! Joe?!!" His voice broke with the fear that his best friends in the world were dead and he was trapped under Pete's dead body. Then, Joe took a great heaving breath and started coughing uncontrollably and moaned in pain. "Joe! Can you hear me? Oh, God, that's a lot of blood!"

Slowly the storm subsided into light rain. This, was when Patrick saw a pair of grey wellies walk up to the window, and when he saw the shiny head of a large ax attached to the end of a black shotgun.