Chapter 11: Planning hiccups

Jonathan's POV.

"Yes you're right,the faces and names on these portfolios layed out in front of you all are the chosen candidates for the diversity project as we discussed
earlier but something tells me that the answers i'v provided so far isn't satisfactory to you Mrs Johnson,care to tell the board why?" I asked the older woman who was maliciously
staring at the portfolio the moment they were handed to her and she strengthened her sitting position before saying.

"I don't understand why everyone of you is sitting here discussing this issue as if we're ordering lunch or simply planning a trip to the doctor's office, why are you all disregarding the risks involved in this project?" Managing a company is never a walk in the park especially when you have shareholders like Mrs Johnson who will oppose every move you make, shortly after i started Snow's secret collection she came to me and asked to be part of my company and its been one heck of a ride.

"No one is disregarding anything here Mrs Johnson, we've all reviewed the proposal which means we're all aware of the risks and gain involved in this project, let's not forget we're all professionals here and we know a good investment when we see one" Director Philip a young successful founder of Bouquet a Ballet academy spoke on my behalf and i smiled in appreciation as the other board members nodded in agreement. Having someone like him on the board helps a lot sometimes because i don't have to face Mrs Johnson's oppositions alone and i don't blame her too, not all millennials believe that young people like us are capable of making smart decisions...my father is in that category.   

"He's not wrong there, we're all professionals here and none of us got to where we are today without taking risks and despite the prevailing circumstances; i think we should carry on regardless because the success rate  of this project is high and i trust Mr Snow's judgment; so my vote is...yes" Other members of the board proceeded to cast their votes as "yes" after old man Jain's words except Mrs Johnson whose indifference was in no way a puzzle to us.

I took a breath of relief while dropping on my office chair after walking out of the conference room five minutes later because i had my fingers crossed the whole time i was in there. I knew how ruthless those investors can be when being presented with fresh proposals, so i was apprehensive about their take on this sudden change of plans but i can't say the the backlash from Mrs Johnson wasn't expected though.

"The scowl on Mrs Johnson's face tells me things didn't go smoothly, how brutal was it?" Came my assistant's voice while I'm loosing the knot on my tie and i collected the cup of tea she is holding out to me before asking.   

"What do you think? The shared notion that i am young alone is enough reason to make her discredit my inputs on all issues, sometimes i wonder if i made the right decision about bringing in outside investors Mrs Cooper" I complained weakly not minding that i was showing weakness in front of my personal assistant.

"I'm not supposed to say this because you're my boss but i need you to know that, you're a smart and talented young man with so much potential; I've watched you work and made decisions under pressure without cracking; not many people can do that. So trust me when i say you got this" Mrs Cooper said with so much kindness and sincerity that i couldn't help but smile.

"Thank you" I told her genuinely

"You're welcome, now drink your tea and fix yourself because your 1:00pm will soon be here and you must look like my boss when they get here" She ordered with a teasing smile.