Chapter 15: Meet the terror

Jonathan's POV.

My mother used to say that human beings are very fragile in nature and that we humans tend to act irrationally when faced with painful or traumatic experiences which makes it very hard for those around us to cope with us sometimes; she called it our defense mechanism.

Seemingly i've encountered series of people who at one point acted beyond normalcy because of their current predicaments which always takes me back to how i changed completely after my mom's death.

There are so many things i didn't and still don't understand about people; like how to be there for someone when clearly they don't need you around or what to say when someone is hurting, and as i'm watching Isabella trying to coax a kid who's clearly still hurting from losing both parents only a few months ago to go into the yard and play with other kids; i've come to a conclusion that there's never going to be a right way to do this.

''I will only be gone for a bit; just keep an eye on him for me please'' Isabella says with a pleading look which caused me to nod with a sigh before she is led away by one of Amirah's entourage.

The Charity Ball doesn't start till another hour or two, so i decided to take a walk which led me to the palace garden where I'm met with Isabella playing some kids, one of which I'm currently trusted to look after as he gazes at other playing children with a blank look.

''These people are trying to help you kid, the least you could do is not make it hard for them'' I voiced my concerns after watching him ignore Isabella every time she tries talking to him which was from the moment i stepped foot into the garden and he's just sitting here like he didn't hear a word I'd just spoken.

A whole minute passed before he asked ''Do you know what happens after we leave this world?''

''Nope'' I replied popping the 'p' wondering why he's suddenly talking to me and he looked at me a little before asking another question.

''Do you know what happened to my papa and mama after they died?'' Finally getting why he asked the question i swallowed thickly before quietly saying.

''I don't know'' He nodded with a somber look while staring at his shoes for a long time before asking.

''Are you mad because i didn't talk to your girlfriend?'' I can only guess he's talking about Isabella as i said ''She's not my girlfriend kid'' He nodded satisfied with my answer and I'm happy he had finally stopped talking when he asks.

''Do you want her to be your girlfriend?'' I stopped myself from snapping at him because of how innocent and curious he looks while asking the question which steered some strange feelings inside me.

''I don't know'' his gaze is still lock with mine as i honestly answered his question and he asks another question that brought a smile to my face.

''Do you know anything?'' I'm surprised by his bluntness as a little smile grazed my face in amusement before saying ''I do know you're a snobby little brat'' Its his turn to be surprised by my words as he smiles really big showing his incredibly deep dimples in both cheeks before saying.

''I don't know about me being a snobby little brat but i know I'm a very good listener'' My brows lifted amusingly by his cheekiness.

''Oh?'' I couldn't help but ask after hearing his surprisingly mature reply and he cleans his nose with back of his hand before saying

''Yeah, my mama always says when i don't have anything good to say its better to just listen'' I don't how old this kid is but he looks as young as i was when i lost my mother, losing a loved one is hard but can it be compared to losing two at once?

''I'm Reagan by the way'' came a tiny whisper as i turned to the little kid before saying ''Reagan...what's that? German term for little brats?''

He straightened up and said ''My name is Reagan and it's Irish for little King'' I propped my hand under my chin with a teasing smile while asking ''King of little brats you mean?''He must have sensed me teasing him because he smiled and looked away as i'm left staring at a head full of curly messy hair.

''Thank you so much for looking after him, Amirah is feeling a bit weary about the children's food menu that's why i stayed longer than expected...'' Isabella stopped mid sentence when she realized the little kid's expression before asking ''What's going on?'' with raised eyebrows and i shrugged nonchalantly with both hands in my pockets while walking away with a smirk of my own, its damn time this Charity Ball starts.

As expected of Amirah, she went all out with the decorations for the ball. Everything's marvelous, nothing is out of place as the little night lights shimmers from the Chandler to the orderly colored sits to the fairy like theme banners which I'm guessing its for the kids since this year's event is aimed at providing a better future for the kids in Gardenia.

Everybody in attendance is on their feet as Amirah made her way to the platform where she's presented with a microphone while she proceeds to make some few welcoming remarks, then urged those in attendance to contribute what they can for the children's special needs.

                 Author's Note
     Hello my lovelies, how are you all doing today? Happy Sunday y'all and continue to stay safe.

   Be kind to one another😘😘😘😘

Here's a pic of our cute little Reagan😍🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩