VI - That Potions Class

Morning came vastly fast, it felt as if I hadn't gotten any sleep at all but I knew I wanted to get ready and feel put together

Morning came vastly fast, it felt as if I hadn't gotten any sleep at all but I knew I wanted to get ready and feel put together. I turned off my noisy alarm and glanced at Elsie. Over the years of sleeping next to so many girls, I was used to waking up and looking rather shoddy. Even though I liked staying up very late usually, I was still a true morning person.

Just as usual I had woken up much earlier than the other girls. I tried to do my everyday things as quiet as possible. My bedside was very cozy but organized. I had a decently large and clean mirror, a small bookshelf containing my favorite books and school folders, a makeup box, a shade-loving house plant, and different items I used.

I stood up and looked at my reflection. Typically, a very skinny, cold, and unsure person stared back at me. Today there stood a completely different and confident young girl. She was beautiful. I was beautiful.

With those thoughts in my head, I took out the robes I had on yesterday and put them on, then tied my green and silver tie. I took a step closer to see my reflection better. I opened my makeup box and did the quickest five-minute makeup look I knew. Usually, in the middle of the year, I never even had time to do my makeup and used a spell to fix my bed hair.

Finishing my last coat of mascara, I closed the box and took out my hair comb. Standardly, I liked to plat my hair and just touch it up in the morning, but I had slept in my naturally straight hair tonight. Combing my light brown hair, I felt small tingles in my body which reminded me why I loved waking up early in the morning and having a bit of time to myself.

After my last glances at the mirror, a few other girls started waking up. A few of then were woken up by their alarms, but Elsie didn't approve of alarms as she always knew that I would back her up.

''And of course, Sher, you're already ready,'' Elsie said in her rough morning voice.

''Be glad I am, because if I weren't - you'd be running late every morning,'' I replied and smirked. I waited for her to dress, quickly ruffle up her hair, and put on some eyeliner. Elsie's morning routine was very messy but somehow she still managed to look presentable.

I grabbed my small leather rucksack, put in on my back, and headed out the door and into the Common Room. Unlike the rest of the year, most seventh years were already ready and excited for the new year. Nobody really wanted to spend so many hours a day studying, but the idea of being together with their friends was liked by everyone.

''Morning Sher!'' Lucian Bole waved at me. I walked up next to him and so did Elsie.

''How did you sleep?'' I asked and smiled.

''Barely got any hours in there tonight... and you?'' Lucian asked and glanced at Elsie.

''Same. Why did you stay up so late? Kept decorating all night as well?'' I teased him and Elsie giggled.

''Not as much as you two I think, but no...'' Lucian laughed as we walked towards the exit. ''I just... had a lot of things on my mind last night and couldn't fall asleep,'' he said with a serious face. I knew Lucian very well and if he made this face - something had truly happened.

Our walk to the Herbology greenhouses was very thrilling, mostly because we had the chance to see how much everyone had changed over the summer. Walking through the Hogwarts hallways was one of my favorite things to do, even if I had been doing it for seven years. I just never got bored of it.

''Who do we have Herbology with?'' Lucian asked and looked at both of us. Even though he was walking in the middle of Elsie and me, I couldn't help but notice how he seemed to be closer to her.

''Hufflepuff, unfortunately to Sher,'' Elsie replied and all of us laughed as we finally reached our class.

My first class of the year had started very nicely, much better than I had expected. Mrs. Sprout had given Elsie and me ten points for remembering most things that she had taught us last year. Potions and Herbology were my best subjects as they both intervened with each other a lot.

Both houses walked out of the class in the usual group, pushing each other a bit too much. On my way out, I had no other chance but to look at Marcus Flint, who smirked and waved at me. Having nothing else to do, I returned a small smile and walked off to my next class.

''Well, excited?'' Elsie said as we opened the door to the professor's Snape's classroom. The regular sense of many ingredients and burnt cauldrons was in the air.

''Shh, El.'' I hushed her as we walked by the teacher. ''Good morning professor,'' I said politely and found my desk. It was in the middle of the classroom, but I liked being in the center of attention during Potions. Snape usually showed my work as an example to others which made me very pleased.

''Morning Miss Foster. I hope you're ready to work smarter than last year?'' Snape said with no facial expression on his face. But the cold stare meant that he was happy to teach me.

''Of course sir,'' I replied and took out my textbook, big notebook, last year's messy notes, a quill, and some ink.

The Slytherin desks filled up especially fast but I didn't care about that. Elsie and Lucian shared a desk with me, close by where Oliver had to be. Just a few seconds later, he finally came in. Elsie of course had a slight smile on her face as she looked at him walk in.

''Hey, Sher!'' Oliver smiled and walked to the desk behind us. I returned the greeting and turned to Snape, who was very keen on starting the class.

As class began, I noticed how disparate Oliver was today. I was concentrating on taking notes and answering every question I could, but something about Oliver's behavior bothered me.

''Sher?'' Oliver whispered my name. I turned my back and raised my eyebrows. ''What... what...'' he tried asking.

''Sorry?'' I asked back very quietly. Elsie pinched once.

''I wanted to know what you were--'' Oliver stuttered again.

''Oliver, I can't understand you,'' I replied and looked at him confusingly. Elsie pinched my arm the second time. I turned my head back to see Snape staring at me with disgust.

''Miss Foster, would you like to explain to us a few things about the ingredients of the polyjuice potion?'' Snape asked and raised his eyebrow. I kept a steady look on my face and gathered all my thoughts.

''Yes, sir,'' I replied and waited for his questions.

''For how many days do lacewing flies need to be stewed?'' Snape asked. The whole class, including probably Oliver, was staring at me.

''21 days, professor,'' I replied without looking in my notes. Snape kept silent.

''What is very specific about fluxweed?'' Snape asked another question and took a step closer. He had definitely talked about last year, but it was impossible to remember everything he said.

''Umm, it had to be picked at a specific time.'' I guessed but kept my voice steady.

''Correct. What time?'' Snape asked without looking away.

''Midnig--'' I almost said but corrected myself immediately. ''It was full moon professor,'' I answered and shook my head slightly. The whole class kept looking at me. Most people enjoyed Snape mocking me a bit, even if I answered right.

''I suggest you keep your mind on the right things, Miss Foster, and off the... wrong ones,'' Snape said, quickly glimpsed at Oliver and walked off.

I kept my eyes on Snape until we were allowed to leave, yet my mind was roaming another thought - Oliver Wood tried to ask me out.