[13]

Everyone was slowly but surely exhausting themselves from the onslaught barrage of attacks. Magna seemed to be the most tired as his breathing became more ragged. Asta didn't get much of a break either. He continuously swung his sword, doing his best to not let a single attack hit any of the villagers. Iris was also trying her best to subdue the burden that Magna and Asta had. Noelle could only look worriedly at her comrades. With her not being able to control her magic fully, she couldn't do much to help.

Iris glanced back, "Noelle, I can't really do much. Right now, it's taking me all of my self-restraint to keep my magic back. I'm not one for small attacks and this kind of delicacy doesn't work for me." She returned her gaze back to the battlefield, continuing to destroy the ice shards. "As much as it pains me to say this, I won't be much help. If I were to use an attack from my grimoire at this very moment, I'm not sure if the village would be intact." She looked at Noelle once again. "So, that's why I need you to also try. Even if you feel as though you will fail, I need you to try."

Noelle looked at Iris as if she had said the most ridiculous thing in the world. "W-what are you saying? If you can't do anything, what makes you think I'll have better luck?! I can't contr-"

"Noelle!" Iris interrupted her, not wanting to hear any self-deprecating words that she would undoubtedly spew. "I'm saying that you must do this. If not for me, do it for them," Iris pointed at the villagers. "If you can't do it for them, then do it for your comrades who are relying on you and putting their lives on the line. I know you can do it." Iris gave Noelle a reassuring smile, wanting to show that she trusted her capabilities.

"B-but..." Noelle was unable to finish her train of thought as she saw that Iris wouldn't take any rebuttals. 'Can I really do this?' Noelle thought, staring down at her feet whilst she doubted herself.

"I wonder how long you can keep this up. Sooner or later, you'll be dead," The ice user said, checking his watch.

Noelle felt helpless seeing as she wasn't contributing at all. Taking Iris' words into account she decided that she would at least try. She furrowed her eyebrows as she cast a water blast, sending it straight for the assailant. Before her attack could reach, it changed directions, moving to the left.

"How pathetic. To think that one of you can't even control her magic. The Black Bulls truly is the worst of the worst." Hearing the white-mages words, Noelle began to doubt herself again. 'It's true. I'm royalty, yet I can't do something as simple as this,' she thought.

Iris had begun to grow more worried as she saw that Noelle was faltering. She saw that her resolve was weak despite having voiced out her trust in her. Iris was struggling to keep up with delicate movements herself, putting in immense effort in diverting the attacks. She glanced at Noelle, 'I'm not sure how long we'll be able to keep this up. If only the villagers were at a safer distance, I would be able to rid us from this situation.'

Before Noelle had the chance to run away, a little girl gripped onto her shirt, pleading her to save them. Not wanting to give up so easily, Noelle created a new spell, engulfing the villagers in a water barrier. 'I'm royalty, so I won't let these people be harmed!' she thought, proud to be able to cast a spell so grand.

Iris stood there in awe. She hadn't expected Noelle to create something so powerful. Then again, she was royalty. She had an advantage in her magic power. Of course, Iris didn't think Noelle was useless. In fact, she thought that she wasn't confident in her abilities. She had noticed her hesitation when confronted by an enemy. Certainly, Iris wasn't any better. She was someone who needed to let loose when in battle. Her fighting style wasn't the slightest bit graceful. On the contrary, it was violent, merciless, and destructive. It was the complete opposite of what suited a royal.