Hard Truth

"Hi Misti. Rick," I said. Now I don't know if I was obvious or if Hamilton was just that observant but in the midst of my shock, he took my hand and squeezed slightly. And I think I might have fallen in love him just a little in that moment.

"Hi Misti," Hamilton greeted. "Good to see you."

"You too," Misti replied still looking at me. I was thankful for the darkness because I was afraid that if I could really see her eyes, I would find that I could read into them as well and I really didn't want to know what she was thinking.

"You want a beer?" Rick asked Misti.

"I think I could use one," she answered.

"K, I'll be right back," he said.

"You need anything, guys?" he asked before leaving. We shook our heads no and the three of us were left on the porch.

"So, when did this happen?" Misti asked.

"I'm sorry; I haven't seen you much and didn't have a chance to tell you," I offered.

"Yeah, I kept hounding her until she finally gave in," Hamilton explained smiling at me.

"You didn't hound me," I smiled.

"And now you're trying to save my pride. I knew there was a reason I liked you," he teased. I could not help but smile.

"Cool," Misti said. "Bryonna, you want to help me find a bathroom?"

I didn't want to go with her. I knew it wouldn't be good and I searched my brain for a plausible excuse.

"You know what, Misti; if you don't mind, I wanted to introduce Bryonna to someone. Unless you need to go with her?" he said turning to look at me.

"I can wait. Is it okay if I go say hi?" I asked.

Misti didn't really answer, only nodded. It was not okay. Luckily, Rick came back then and Hamilton made an excuse for us. He led me back in the house where there were only a few people watching a game. He took me past them and stopped in the far corner of the room.

"I hope you don't mind my little white lie," he began.

Now I don't know why I did it. I clearly wasn't thinking, but the relief of being away from Misti took over and I kissed him. Yes, I kissed Hamilton without saying a word. I meant it to be a thank you, a quick gesture of appreciation, but something else happened. He reached up to cup his hand around the back of my neck and the feel of it changed everything.

I put my arms around his neck and his tongue teased my bottom lip. I opened my mouth then and tasted him. He tasted like beer and I forgot everything else. I'd kissed several boys by now but I knew without a doubt, this was no boy I was kissing. He pulled me closer to him with his other hand on the small of my back and I fell into him.

When we finally pulled away, I looked down and bit my bottom lip to quell the intensity of what I was feeling. He leaned forward and kissed the top of my head and I hugged him tightly. We stayed like that for another moment until I finally felt that I could stand on my own. My hands stayed on his shoulders for support and I finally looked up at him. He was gazing down at me with this look I was not sure of and smiled so sweetly that I wished we were alone. I wished we were really alone and not tucked into a corner of some house that I didn't know.

"Wow," he said finally.

"Yeah," I replied.

"What did I do to deserve that?"

"Do you two need a room?" Travis asked from behind us startling me.

"Shut up, man," Hamilton admonished.