Doubts

The next day, I moved quietly around the house. Mom was sleeping after her night shift and Misti was sleeping off graduation night. I don't know when she finally made it home, but I had fallen asleep almost instantly when I got inside the night before. Between the emotion of graduation, the party, and Hamilton, I was exhausted. I woke up slightly sore from my acrobatics and was thankful I didn't have to see anyone. I slept in a tank and shorts and hadn't changed when I heard the music coming up the drive.

I ran to the door and slipped outside to ask Hamilton to turn it off, but it wasn't him. I stopped at the edge of the porch and signaled for Josh to cut the music and put a finger to my lips. He cut the engine and motioned for me to join him without even opening his door. I looked back to my house knowing I should change but he'd already seen me, what was the point?

"Hey," I said when I opened the door.

"Hey, can you talk?"

"Everyone's sleeping," I began. He quickly moved some stuff from his front seat. "What's up? I wasn't expecting anyone."

"I know, I just thought I'd stop by and say hi. See how you made out last night," he said.

"Made out?"

"Not like, I mean, you left pretty suddenly, was everything okay?"

"Yeah, it was good. We were just ready to get out of there. How was your night?"

"It was good. I mean, the party was fun, Melody had a good time."

"Cool, graduation nights are supposed to be special," I said rubbing my hand nervously on my thigh.

"Wow, I hadn't seen it up close." He was staring at the ring on my finger.

"Oh, yeah," I said self consciously putting my hand under my leg.

"You don't have to hide it. I heard about it, even if you didn't tell me," he said.

"Well, I haven't exactly been able to call you lately."

"True. So, you're like engaged?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "I mean, maybe someday. But for now, it's just a promise ring."

"What are you promising?" he asked.

"Josh, I don't think I want to talk about this with you."

"We used to talk about everything."

"Yeah, before you told me we couldn't," I snapped. "Shit, I'm sorry."

"No, you're right. It hasn't been easy, though, in case you were wondering," he offered. "Some nights I really have to fight not to call. I miss it."

"Yeah, I miss it too, sometimes. But I'm happy, Josh. Hamilton makes me really happy."

"I'm glad, Bree." I closed my eyes when he said my name. His name for me.

"And you and Melody are doing great," I offered.

"Yeah, its weird now that I'm out of high school, she's gonna have two more years. It seems like forever," he said.

"Well, Lake Vista is small, you coming around isn't weird or anything. You'll still see her. Unless you plan on leaving or something," I smiled. When he didn't answer, I looked at him.

"About that," he said. "I got accepted to UGA."

"What? Josh, that's amazing!" I exclaimed. "Not surprising, of course, because you're amazing, but wow! You must be so pumped!" I instinctively covered his hand with mine.