Leap of Faith

I woke up the next morning in Amber's bed with multiple missed calls from Hamilton. He'd also texted to call him as soon as I could. What could I possibly say? Amber took me home early because she had to work. Luckily, Mom was sleeping and Misti was gone. I didn't want to see anyone. I went to my room and threw my stuff in the corner. On my desk, my notebook lay open, but it wasn't my handwriting.

Dear Bryonna,

Please call me. I'm not sure why you came home and then left tonight. I hope it wasn't because you saw my truck. I hope it wasn't because you thought I was with your sister. I came here looking for you, to just see you because I missed you so much.

You're everything to me. I would never cheat on you. Please believe me, I've done a lot of bad things in my life, but finding you was the best thing that ever happened to me. I would do anything for you. I need to see you.

I love you

Hamilton

I wanted so badly to believe him. But if he saw me, why didn't he come outside? Why didn't he answer my call? Why were the lights off? It just didn't make sense. But he left this note so he wasn't trying to hide the fact that he was here. I looked to see what time he started calling me. Around three in the morning. So why if he was awake and calling me at three, did he not answer the phone at one when I called? And why did two hours pass before he called back?

My head hurt, but more importantly, my heart hurt and I didn't know how to fix it. When my phone vibrated, I sent it to voicemail before even checking. I knew who it was and I wasn't ready. Amber listened to me all night, I couldn't bother her again. I wasn't allowed to call the one person I needed, and it was probably for the best. I dialed the number from memory.

"Hello."

"Hi, it's Bryonna."

"What's wrong," Lance asked immediately.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"Loser, you've called me no more than three times over the last four years," he began. "I'd like to think you missed me, but something tells me that's not it."

"Well, freak, I can't help it if I think of you when all hell breaks loose," I teased.

"Fair enough," he said laughing. "So, what's up?"

"I need you to tell me if I'm overreacting or being ridiculous."

"I can definitely tell you that! What'd you do?"

I proceeded to tell him everything. I told him about the rumors about Hamilton, the "advice" from the girls, Misti and Julie's warnings, Hamilton's overnights at work, the arguments about Josh, what I saw when I came home the night before, and finally the letter I found when I got home. It took a while and I realized when I finished that I barely gave him a chance to speak. He probably wished he never asked.

"That is a lot," he said slowly.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just needed you to understand everything before you tell me if you think I should be worried. I mean, he sounds so sincere in the letter, but it just doesn't add up."

"Man, there's so much I could say."

"Tell me," I said. "Please be honest, I need to know from a guy's perspective."

"Listen, I know how it feels when a girl gets all needy and possessive," he began.

"So, you think I'm overreacting?"