Chapter 2

IZAAK

  Izaak couldn'thelp but notice how out of shape he had gotten over the year, while everyonehad long caught their breath Izaak just wanted to lay on his back and ignoreeverything until he had gotten his heartbeat back to the right rhythm. But hewouldn't let anyone know this so he drank his water and ate the sandwich he hadbrought. Scotty seemed to have forgotten about his lunch completely as he sat sketching.

  ''Open your mouth.'' Izaak commended to Scotty when he had taken Scotty's sandwich, he obeyed, and Izaak made him take a bite from his food, they did this until they were both out of food, Izaak just told Scotty when to take a bite, he then looked over Scotty's shoulder to the drawing he was working on, it was mistakenly the view he had been staring at when drinking his water, and now he drew it mostly from his memory, every now and again looking up, then back to his paper and erasing something and draw something different there.

  Before Scotty could finish the piece, George had gotten back on his feet and clapped his hands, ''Alright everyone! Five more minutes then we'll be off again!'' He then goes back to his conversation with Andy, Katrin and Cynthia.
   Izaak got up and headed to the bathrooms, the others had followed his lead, except for Ruth and Jane who had already gone to the restroom, and once returned they resumed their hike.
  ''Come on,'' Ruth said to him when she had turned around, her cheeks were red and she was slightly sweaty, but clearly wasn't about to let anyone know she was tired,''At least try to keep up.'' Izaak laughed, and accept her challenge, he sped up, ignored the pain in his feet, and walked past her, once he did so he said,''I'm sorry? I can't hear you, you're just too far away.'' Izaak taunted her,he made his way up to Scotty, who was just behind Cory, and heard his softly singing some lyrics Izaak couldn't properly hear, he asked him if he was down to join cutting through the trees, but all he got was singing Livin' on a prayer by Bon Jovi as a response, note, Scotty couldn't hold a note to save a life.
  ''She says, we'vegot to hold on to what we've got.'' He sang on the wrong pitch, his voice cracking a couple of times, ''It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.'' Spencer and Jane joined in with him, making it a little bit more bearable to listen to, ''We've got each other and that's a lot for love.'' That is when Izaak decided to join in as well, ''We'll give it a shot, ooah!'' Cory had turned around to look at his friends, smiling broadly. They continued singing , some people joined in while others just stared at them, clearly judging them, Izaak had grown used to that though.

  A short while later Ruth had returned, or rather she had waited for them, ''You didn't keep up .'' She informed Izaak with a grin on her face, it was clear that she felt asif she had just won.
  ''I got distracted.''Izaak told her, he nudged to Scotty, there would be no way she had missed all that singing, but Scotty had also heard what he had said.
  ''Aah, I caught the eye of Pretty Boy, didn't I?'' he smirked, clearly pleased with himself.
  ''More like my ears, I think I would've started bleeding if no one else had decided to join in with the singing.'' Izaak replied, Scotty acted as if this had really hurt him by grabbing his heart.
  ''Oh I didn'tknow guys also bled down there.'' Ruth noted as she stared ahead, Izaak looked grossed out by this comment.
  ''Gross.'' He groaned, and he tried to ignore it but Ruth continued as if it was the most usual topic there could be.
  ''It's very natural.''
  ''That doesn't mean it needs to be talked about.''
  ''We don't talk about it enough.''
  Scotty raised his right hand in the air and shouted: ''Menstrual products are overpriced!'' Ruth gave him a high-five a couple girl cheered at this, they had found themselves an ally, Izaak shook his head but didn't say anything. It wasn't that Izaak didn't think those products were overpriced, he would just get grossed out by the topic because his two older sister would always taunt him, telling period horror stories, whether they were their own stories or someone else's, they would describe in great detail.