Chapter 4

CORY

Cory sat at the edge of the water and laughed as he watched Scotty be attacked by a duck.
''Is that the duck?'' Cory asked, Scotty walked back, stumbled and fell in the water when the duck flew towards him, he wiped the water from his face,, ''Yes, this is the duck.'' Scotty grunted, looking angrily at the duck, which now happilyswam away again.
''It remembers you.'' Cory grinned when Scotty crawled back on to his feet, drenched in water, he then sat down next to Cory, and they didn't say a whole lot but Cory didn't really mind, Spencer and Jane had left a couple minutes before, they had just missed the attack of the duck but there were a few people wanting to play some volleyball and they had joined the game, Cory had refused, his head still hurt from the other day, it had even left a slight bruise.
Cory looked at Scotty, his face in the sun toward the lake, he had closed his eyes and drops of water fell from his hairon his face and the sunlight made it look like sparkles, his hands started to itch for his camera.
Scotty noticed him looking, turned slightly to Cory with his face opened one eye and smirked. ''Admiring the view?'' he asked with a grin on his face, Cory looked away which made Scotty laughed.
''Dad's got a job interview tomorrow.'' Cory said eventually, he had told him this morning, and he sounded pretty excited.
''That's good.'' Scotty replied, Scotty didn't really like Cory's father, especially when he had been to rehab himself a couple years back.
''He is trying you know.'' Cory told him,''he really is.'' Scotty scoffed, Cory knew why, Scotty had trouble seeing past the man that had nearly drank himself to death in front of his only child, the last time they met, two years ago the two of them had almost gotten into a physical fight, and it took Cory a lot of convincing until his father agreed to let him go back to the camp with him, after that camp, when they had found Scotty in possession of drugs his father had been furious. But Scotty had gone to rehab and never touched any type of drugs ever again, he couldn't say the same for his father, but this time Cory really believed things might change.
''You are his child you know.'' Scotty then says, ''You aren't supposed to be the one your neighbors call when your dad is found drunk or asleep on the sidewalk. You aren't supposed to take care of him, not yet, it should be the other way around.''
''There's nothing wrong with helping.''
''You're right but come on Cory, I'm sorry but it's been like what, six years?'' Cory looked down and stared at his feet, usually they never spoke of his dad, especially Scotty not because he usually would get angry, like he was right now.
''He is sick.''
''He could've been cured of that if he had just worked a little harder.''
''It's not that easy!''
''And how do you know that?''
Cory stayed silent.
''Exactly.'' Scotty said with a soft voice, too scared to look Scotty in the face he watched the duck on the lake. He heard some rocks hit each other and then watch as one by one the rocks hit the surface of the water and the splash.
Two years ago Scotty had been send home from camp when Katrin had gotten a tip from one of the other people in our cabin that someone had drugs in their possession. They had to go through everyone'sbags in the cabin and then they went through Scotty's, who hadn't been acting like himself all summer, Katrin had contacted his mother and she had picked him up that same day. A few days later he had explained to Cory and Izaak what was going on, things at his school weren't easy, he had no friends and eventually got in contact with the wrong crowd, and pretty much due to peer pressure from that group he started doing drugs, and got addicted, and he had a few daysuntil he would be going to a rehab facility. And luckily, after months of rehab he managed to be himself again, they even moved to a different town, he now lived with his mom, step-father and sister in a small here bedroom apartment.
''I'm sorry.'' Scotty apologizes as another rock hits the water.
''It's fine.'' Cory replies but Scotty shakes his head.
''No I was out of place, and your dad's story is much different from mine, I shouldn't have judged him for it. I just, I don't know, I don't want the same thing to happen for you.'' He stared at his hands.
''I know, I just, I have hope for him.'' Cory replied, and they sat in silence again.