Chapter Two: Diagon Alley

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Sorcerer's Stone in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

Draco awoke before the crack of dawn, before the birds started chirping, and before his own owl Niklaus had even come home from a night of hunting. Draco sat up in bed scrutinizing the list of school supplies that had come in his Hogwarts letter.

"Uniform:

First-year students will require

Three sets of plain work robes (black)

One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

Set Books

All students should have a copy of the following:

A Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

A Beginners Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other Equipment

1 Wand

1 Cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST-YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS"

(Excerpt from Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone, by J.K. Rowling).

Draco walked over to his book shelf and took down his copy of A History of Magic, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, and One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi. He was an avid reader and had read these books several times through. He also grabbed his most favorite book which was not on the required list, Hogwarts: A History. As he placed them gently in his trunk, the sun was just rising. He could hear the pitter patter of his family's house elves making breakfast.

Draco walked down the grand staircase to the delightful smell of bacon, roasted potatoes, and eggs with cheese. He wanted to run down the corridor and burst into the dining room jumping and hollering, but he remembered how his father hated such tomfoolery. Instead Draco gathered his composure and sauntered down the corridor, and opened the dining room door with an air of confidence.

His mother, Narcissa, immediately flashed him a smile of excitement and his father, Lucius, slowly lowered the daily prophet. "Good morning Draco," he said.